Is Athlone Worth Visiting?

Is Athlone Worth Visiting?

Author
Posted Sun 22 Aug 2021 1:20 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
You might be wondering if Athlone, one of the larger towns in Ireland's Midlands is worth visiting. We spent a week in Athlone over the summer. While Athlone Town is fairly low key, you'll find that Athlone is a great home base for exploring Ireland's Hidden Heartlands. What are the top things to do in Athlone and nearby? Grab a pint or a nip of whiskey at Sean's Bar, the oldest pub in Ireland. Go boating on Lough Ree. Visit Clonmacnoise, one of the earliest Christian monastic sites in Ireland. Pay a visit to nearby towns such as Roscommon, Birr, Tullamore, and Kilbeggan. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 22 Aug 2021 3:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Some wonderful suggestions on what to see and do in the Midlands!

Most people tour around the coastline of the island of Ireland but there certainly is plenty of wonderful countryside in the heartlands. From Athlone Castle, a Whiskey tour, or a cycle along the Old Rail Trail Greenway, plenty to do in and around the area.

As you say, a wonderful base for visiting nearby counties or stepping back in time to the oldest bar or monastic site!