Need a translation for a Tattoo

Need a translation for a Tattoo

Author
Posted Wed 25 Aug 2021 12:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 26 Aug 2021 4:54 AM Visits: 6
Hi everyone,

I need the help from this community.
I would like to get a tattoo of a leprechaun.

The saying "lucky bastard" should be written under the tattoo, but translated into Gaelic. Unfortunately I cannot find any useful translations and I hope that you can help me.

Best regards from Hanover, Germany
Kay
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Aug 2021 2:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Kay,

That's for sure an interesting translation request! 😂 

I too, have tattoos with Irish writing and what I found was that literal translations from English (or another language) to Irish often doesn't work as words or expressions might be missing or not making sense in Irish.

We have a couple of fluent members who will probably be able to help you further with that, but it might be worth thinking about what message you want your text to really mean.

Another option would be to get in touch with a few of the places that offer Irish classes for tourists and therefore might be open to help with a one-off request like this. We have a great thread listing a few, don't hesitate to check it out.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Aug 2021 3:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:24 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Kay,
I have asked a number of people and have been advised, that 'Lucky Bastard' does not translate directly.

There are a number of option you could use -
“Tá an t-ádh dearg leis anamadán sin”.
There is no word in Irish for 'bastard', so you would have to use the word 'eejit', which translates to amadán.

As said, there is not really a direct translation of “Lucky Bastard” in Irish. Although, if you wanted to instead get “Jammy Bastard”, it would be: “tá ant-ádh dearg ort!”

I hope this helps and good luck. And don't forget to add a picture of the tattoo to your post, once you got it done.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Aug 2021 4:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 26 Aug 2021 4:54 AM Visits: 6
Hello Christoph,
thank you very much for your effort. :-)

What exactly does "eejit" mean?
What is the exact translation of "tá ant-ádh dearg ort!"?

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 26 Aug 2021 10:59 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:24 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Kay,
I have received another couple of possible translations - 

Tá an t-ádh dearg ort! (same as the one I posted yesterday and you asked for a translation for, please see below)
Tá an t-ádh i do chaipín!
Tá an tseamair Mhuire agat!

They’re all “You’re a lucky bastard” as there’s no real direct translation in Gaeilge.

With regards to your other question - 'eejit' is slang for idiot.

I hope this helps.