50th Birthday Celebrations (Galway - Cobh - Kerry)

50th Birthday Celebrations (Galway - Cobh - Kerry)

Author
Posted Wed 8 Sep 2021 10:59 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 9 Sep 2021 11:46 AM Visits: 4
I am planning to celebrate my special birthday with a weeks tour around Galway, Cobh and Kerry.  I will be flying in from Birmingham UK, and want to start my trip and celebrate my actual birthday in Galway Bay.  Wanted some advice on the best route, I was thinking 3 days in Galway as family will be joining me for celebrations, then onto Cobh for 2 day and then to Kerry for 2 days.  Is this the best route to take?  Any ideas or suggestions would be so gratefully received. 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 Sep 2021 12:31 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hi Martina,

It's great to hear you are thinking to spend such an important birthday in Ireland!

Will you be arriving straight to Galway? The route you mention sounds like a great idea if you want to stay in the cities. However, I would also suggest you combine some of the ideas from our Cliffs and Coves trip and our Southern Peninsulas trip if you want a bit more of nature and visiting villages. The south of Ireland is extensive, so I would also suggest you stay longer in either Cork or Kerry and you don't rush your trip when you're in this part of the island. You might also really enjoy a visit to either Killarney or Dingle (or both) and exploring the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula. 

Let me know if you like these suggestions.

Have a nice day,

David
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 11:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 9 Sep 2021 11:46 AM Visits: 4
Hi David,  Many thanks for the response, I want to start in Galway and spend the weekend there to celebrate my actual birthday as I will have family joining me from home and cousins who are scattered around Ireland.  I am staying for a week so was thinking 3 days over the weekend in Galway, then visit to Cobh and want to then head to Kerry to do The Ring of Kerry.  We are going to be hiring a car just want to know the best route really.  Not sure what is the best airport to fly into for Galway from Birmingham, but think probably best to go to Kerry next then to Cobh so we can fly home from Cork airport.  What do you think?

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 Sep 2021 12:56 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hi Martina,

The best airport to fly to get into Galway is Shannon Airport, as it is only one hour from Galway. However, I do not think there are direct flights from Birmingham, so it might take longer to fly there. As an alternative, you could fly directly to Dublin and drive to Galway, but this might be more tiresome. 

I also agree with you that is best to visit Kerry first and then to Cobh, as it is just next to Cork. I cannot find flights from Cork to Birmingham either, so you might have to go back to Dublin as this is the only airport that flies directly. The drive from Cork to Shannon Airport is around 2 hours and from Cork to Dublin is around 3 hours.

I hope this is useful.

David