Free Train Pass For People Over 66 On Iarnród Éireann????

Free Train Pass For People Over 66 On Iarnród Éireann????

Author
Posted Mon 13 Sep 2021 7:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Sep 2021 6:30 PM Visits: 9
Hello Ireland.com Community,

I will be coming to Ireland in June 2022 arriving in Dublin June 2, 2022. I will be heading to Cork City (Oriel House Hotel) before heading to Dingle in Co. Kerry then up to The Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Westport, Sligo, County Donegal, then back to Galway - Dublin over three weeks.

Does the free Rail travel for people over the age of 66 still exist, and if so what do I need to register for and book. There will be a traveling companion with me as I am handicapped needing a walker to get around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/tourists-over-66-get-free-travel-in-ireland-1.638862

Regards,
Patrick McLaughlin
REMOVED DUE TO SENSITIVE INFORMATION
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Sep 2021 8:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Patrick,

It's great to hear that you have plans to come over and visit us next summer, it looks like a wonderful itinerary for your 3 weeks!

The travel pass scheme for over 66's was for just that one year and hasn't been renewed, unfortunately. If you plan to travel by rail to some of these locations, then Irish Rail does have some tourist tickets for 4/5 days that may be of interest to you. If not, then booking online more than 7 days in advance also gives a sizeable discount on fares. There is also some information on accessibility which you may wish to look at too.

For more information on what travel options there are, Transport for Ireland has a very helpful travel planner where you can search for the most suitable option whether train or bus to get you from location to location. 

We hope this helps and that you enjoy your time with us next year!

Best wishes,
Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Sep 2021 5:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Sep 2021 6:30 PM Visits: 9
Hello Martin ~  Thanks for your reply, and suggestions moving forward. Your help is appreciated, I tried looking at booking on Irish Rail ... https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/

It appears from looking at a couple of their current schedules that they don't have certain routes in operations on Sundays which might effect whether I go by rail or bus.

Again, Thanks for your assistance, and I may be reaching out to you in the further.

Be well,

Patrick

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Sep 2021 9:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Patrick,

Glad to hear that some of the information was of help! 🙂

It is quite possible that the current schedule has been affected by the service reductions due to the present travel situation so please check back with them next year.

Bus services are another great way to get about especially to any areas not covered by the rail network which would be any part of County Donegal! Bus Éireann and the LocalLink services cover the majority of places so well worth a look there too either directly or through the Transport for Ireland planner. 🚌

Please feel free to get back to us at any time, we are always happy to help, or at least point you in the right direction.

Warm regards,

Martin