Hiking the coastal road

Hiking the coastal road

Author
Posted Thu 30 Sep 2021 8:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 30 Sep 2021 8:21 AM Visits: 2
My late husband (died Feb 2020) went to Coleraine Inst. and then on to Queens. He later moved to Denmark and married. After his death it has been my plan has to walk the coastline from Belfast to Derry/Londonderry. I hope that it will be possible during the spring 2022.
I would like to avoid too much hiking on the busy coastal road – is that possible?
Can you recommend a website / book with good hiking maps?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated - 
Jeanne
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 30 Sep 2021 9:20 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Jeanne,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, and it is very special that you are thinking of honoring him by walking the entire coastline from Belfast to Derry-Londonderry. 

One of our other members named Oscar has planned a similar trip in 2019, and you can find some helpful information about his trip by clicking here

On the Walk NI page, you can find an overview of all the available walking routes from Belfast along the Causeway Coast and Glens to County Derry-Londonderry. Not all of these routes connect via an off-road path, so sometimes you'll have to divert to the road. These usually will have a safe area for pedestrians, but it is always a good idea to wear clothes or gear that make you visible to drivers.

The Walk NI website also has a clear overview and map of all of the available routes.

Have you thought about where you'd like to spend the night during your trip? On the following page, you can find an overview of recommended accommodation, and there are also some wonderful tour operators who would be more than happy to help you plan the perfect trip. 

I hope this will help you start planning, and we're always here to help if there's anything else you'd like to know! 💚

Melin