Spontaneous booking at B&B's

Spontaneous booking at B&B's

Author
Posted Sun 17 Oct 2021 4:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 18 Oct 2021 11:25 AM Visits: 178
My two adult daughters are taking me to Ireland to celebrate my retirement and a landmark birthday.  We're pondering the options of renting a place for a week + to call home base and travel around the island, vs playing it by ear and staying at B&B's along the way.  I haven't been to Ireland since the early 70's and the later is how one of my brothers and myself did it then.  Is there any such thing as spontaneous still?  Is it possible to "drop in" to whatever the nearest B&B is or would we have to preplan each stop? We're looking at late May/early June.  Thanks in advance for advise on travel in 2022!  

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Oct 2021 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Martha,

How wonderful to hear you and your daughters are planning a trip over to see us on the island of Ireland next year!

A tricky decision to make! Stay in one location and really find out what is in and around the area, or move on each day and travel around visiting many different locations. Quite the dilemma! 🙂

If you plan a road trip, as long as you don't mind where you end up staying, then it is possible to wing it and find accommodation each night. May/June would be the start of the school holidays, but depending on the area, there are still plenty of places to find something. The first and last place on your trip is always a good idea to have in the bag, as it takes the stress out of things a bit. That said, we do always recommend having things in place for your trip and have a lovely accommodation page on our website for you to have a look at for options. Scroll down to the where do you want to stay section and use the filters to find what is in any area. 

If you fancy exploring from one location, is there anything, in particular, that would appeal to you all? Coastline, inland, history, or a few good bars to enjoy the craic? Our what to do section has some lovely ideas to get you thinking.

Where have you managed to visit so far, are you looking to rediscover or find all new experiences here on the island of Ireland?