Need general advice, please! (And would love to find distant cousins)

Need general advice, please! (And would love to find distant cousins)...

Author
Posted Sat 23 Oct 2021 11:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 24 Oct 2021 11:23 AM Visits: 19
I have lots of ancestry in Ireland, but most of that knowledge comes from birthplaces shown on Scottish Census records, not Irish birth or marriage records.  I was born in Glasgow, have Scottish parents, three grandparents Scottish and one English. But from the great-grandparents and further back, mostly Irish, with names like: Duffy, Tolland/Tolan, Kerr, Devine, Doyle, Callaghan/O'Callaghan, Collins, Price, McKinlay/McKinney, Denny/Deaney, Dunlop, Topping/Toppan, Killen, Telford, Walker, etc. 

I'm fairly new to this research, and sometimes frustrated by the lack of results, or by how inconclusive they are. How does one know when one's ancestor is among those whose records have been lost, for instance?  I am also frustrated by sites that require me to search by PARISH, for example, when I don't know that yet.

If anyone has any tips, it would be greatly appreciated!  And if anyone else has ancestors with these surnames, I would of course love to discuss!

Thanks very much.
Annemarie
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Oct 2021 9:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi there, Annemarie,

It's great to hear that you are interested in your Irish ancestry! ☘️ 

We have some great genealogy tools on our website and here on the Community with forums such as Getting Started on your Genealogy Journey.

We also have a thread all about Family Crests, which may interest you with the list of surnames you have found so far! As well as this, you are welcome to search your Irish names over on John Grenham's website, which gives you information on surname itself and counties that it can be found in, which may help you in your search for parishes. 😊

If your ancestors were born before 1864, there is a chance that their records could have been lost but all surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres!

I hope that these links help you get started on your ancestry journey and hopefully some of our members have some information that could also help you out. 😊

Best,
Aimee
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 5:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Annemarie, 

I would recommend that you search www.rootsireland.ie as this covers almost all parts of Ireland so you don't need to know the parish or even the county. It is an ongoing project so it doesn't yet have records from every church but it has over 80% pre-1900 Catholic records and over 50% Church of Ireland records.

You can subscribe for a day to see if it will contain any useful records.

If you would like more specific advice, you may wish to commission a research survey here: http://www.ancestryireland.com/research-services/commission-an-initial-assessment/

Best wishes for your search

Gillian

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 6:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Annemarie

An excellent starting point for surname research is the Irish Ancestors website at https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames as their 'Surname search' option enables you to examine the location, frequency and history of Irish surnames.