Family trip to Ireland to check out colleges and more!

Family trip to Ireland to check out colleges and more!

Author
Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 12:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 15 Feb 2022 12:27 PM Visits: 627
Hello all!  
My family and I (5 in total) are planning a trip in March for my son to check out some of the lovely colleges in Ireland.  We would like to fly in and out of Dublin and visit that city, Belfast, and perhaps Cork and Waterford.  We are renting a car and will drive while staying at B&Bs.  My husband and I visited years ago in the 90s and we are delighted to return!  Any tips or idea for a driving route?  We will only have about six days.  I'm also wondering about anything I need to know when going back and forth via car from Northern Ireland to Ireland.  
Thanks!  Cathy
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Nov 2021 10:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Cathy,

How lovely, a family trip to check out our many colleges!

Flying in and out of Dublin gives you a great chance to check out the city, plenty of things to see and do for you all to enjoy as well as visit the Universities.

Renting a car is easy enough, just be sure to mention that you are planning on going to Northern Ireland so you have the correct insurance. We have some details on driving in Ireland, plenty of information on speeds, roads and tolls you may come across when travelling in the south. 🚗

From Dublin, going north to Belfast is straightforward, out of the city and along the M1 motorway. Going south to Cork and Waterford again leave Dublin City and take either major route, possibly a stop in Kilkenny on the way to or from Waterford would be nice.

We have an accommodation search page with the, where do you want to stay section, simply add the filters on accommodation type and location to narrow down the search. B&Bs are a great way to stay and experience some of the local charms our hosts provide.

To keep up to date as they try to make plans, we'd suggest keeping an eye on our own Traveler's Health page for all official resources. 

Hopefully, this will help you with your plans and that you have a productive and pleasant time with us, one of many we hope! 😉

Martin