The Restaurants of the Beautiful City of Dublin

The Restaurants of the Beautiful City of Dublin

Author
Posted Thu 2 Dec 2021 3:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Expert
Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 26 May 2022 1:13 PM Visits: 17
Dublin City has restaurants for everyone - no matter your dietaryor food preferences. As a born and raised Dubliner (Tourism Ireland) , I want to give you my personal favourite spots for satisfying your hunger when exploring the beautiful city of Dublin.

I will take you through all the different types of cuisines that this fair city has to offer, while giving my opinion of Dublin’s food offering.

We begin our eatery journey at breakfast - the most important meal of the day, some say! 

Breakfast:
Café Metro – This cosy corner café has plenty of freshly baked pastries and delicious coffee on offer. No matter the weather, you will find heaters and blankets to keep you warm even during the coldest of days.

Brother Hubbard – They have two locations on the South and North side of the city, and both are perfect for experiencing that new age Irish welcoming feeling. This mix of international flavours with an Irish twist offers you a varied menu with vegan and vegetarian options included

Tang Café - This is hands down the best spot for a hearty and nutritious breakfast.  The café focusses on sustainable and eco-friendly products that will make you warm on the inside and the staff are always incredibly friendly and welcoming to everyone who steps a footin their door.

Taste Café – If you’re looking for somewhere that offers that feeling of home – look no further; the outdoor patio offers protection from all weather and is, in my opinion, the perfect spot to watch the world go by. I have had many, and I mean many, delicious Irish Breakfasts here, and the coffee is to die for.

Avoca –   Just off on a side street near the end of Grafton Street, this rooftop restaurant demonstrates what is so great about Irish Cuisine. On your way up the stairs, be sure to stop and have a look at their amazing trinkets and home products.

Want to take a break from walking around the streets of Dublin but don’t know where to go? 

Lunch:
Chez Max – This side alley hidden gem offers one the best French style cuisine while using local Irish ingredients. Once you sit down, you’ll see the passion and tradition unfurl. Perfect for a quick lunch or an extended brunch.

Pepper Pot – Forget about all your troubles in this amazingly simple café and bakery located in the heart of the Georgian “Powerscourt Townhouse”.If you’re looking for a light lunch (vegan and vegetarian options) and want to bask in Irish history, this is the place to be; and their Victoria sponge cake is not to be missed!

Dolce Sicily - Italy in Dublin? Who would have thought, but here it is!Hidden halfway down Grafton street is a small Italian patisserie with sandwichesthat satisfy your deepest hunger. There’s plenty of window seats overlookingthe buzzing city streets.

Tate of the Med – Do a day trip out of Dublin to walk the coastline of Malahide. In the middle of this quaint town this little bistro covers everything from pancakes to acai bowls, - which is perfect after a stroll along the harbour.

Gourmet Food Parlour – Found around Dublin and in Galway City. Don’t know what you’re looking for? Soup?Steak? Dessert? You will find it all here at very affordable prices. I’ve personally,been in the Dun Laoghaire (my hometown) and Galway locations and I couldn’t find any issues, even if I wanted to.

So, you’ve finished a day of adventure being steeped in the culture around the streets of Dublin, and you’re headed back toyour Hotel or BnB, thinking “what to do for dinner?” Well, here’s my favouritespots to go with friends and family.

Dinner:
Trocadero – My top tier personal and family favourite; be transportedback in time to where no problems existed - only good food and amazing service.My favourite seats are in the side corner (the boots) overlooking all theartwork and famous faces hanging on the wall. The espresso martinis are thebest in Dublin – best “hidden secret”.

The little pig Speakeasy – This “hidden” bar and restaurant screams old school glamour and sophistication. Offering New York-Italian style food paired beautifully with their cocktail menu, it’s one of the off the beaten track restaurants to try. Also, the old fashions and the slow cooked lamb provide the ultimate cosy feeling.

777- A little different from the options above but is a great example of new age Irish food and dining experiences. Thisfunky spot is a contemporary Mexican restaurant with both indoor and outdoordining that won’t fail to meet your expectations. It’s perfect for a light or afilling dinner, with sharing platters for all.

DADA – A recent discovery for myself in Dublin; this Moroccan restaurant is a BYOW (bring your own wine) but it also hasa great wine list. I have yet to find another spot that cooks lamb with as muchflavour and depth as they do (They also have numerous vegan and vegetarian options)

Johnny Foxes – If you’re open to a 40 minute taxi drive from Grafton St to this pub located in the Dublin Mountains, it will be hands down one of the most memorable moments of yourholiday in Dublin. This authentic Irish pub serves you everything that when thinking of Ireland from scenic views from your table, the friendliest staff, amazing food and Oh and of course has traditional music and Irish dancing! 

Mamo- Mentioned in the Michelin Guide, it has a limited menu but everything is made to perfection with an emphasis on using only the highest quality local produce that the Dublin area has to offer. And after dinner, you can gaze out at the harbour and catch the DART straight backinto the heart of Dublin. 

Additional Special Mentions:These options don’t directly fit into the categories above but are most definitelyones not to miss!

Grogans Pub – Not looking for a full meal? Grogans will sort you out their famous Grilled Cheese Toastie and a Pint of Guinness whilst you enjoy the interior décor that is filled with alternative artwork.

Sova Vegan Butcher – A short walk away from the city centre, this vegan restaurant will make you forget about meat and fall in love with their amazing menu ,a great local spot for people in the Dublin Area.

Marys Bar and Hardware Shop – Need some canned beans and a new garden hose? Well, this “Hardware Shop” has that - but not for purchase. Mary’s bar is a unique eatery that celebrates the old Irish corner shops while serving amazing burgers.

All the best, Conor - Tourism Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 2 Dec 2021 4:04 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
You got me hungry Conor! 😋

I take notes for my next trip(s) down to Dublin.

Now the real question is, what dish will you recommend for anyone coming to Ireland for the first time?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Dec 2021 10:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Expert
Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)Ireland Expert (184 reputation)
Hi Elodie,

Thanks for the great feedback! Honestly you can never go wrong with a good old fashioned Irish Breakfast.

It is a must have and will defiently keep you going for a long day ahead. :D
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Dec 2021 12:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Conor, 

I couldn't agree more! You can't beat an Irish breakfast to start a day full of exploring. 

I also really want to try out the Sova Vegan Butcher. Can't wait to make my way back to Dublin again! :) 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Dec 2021 4:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Expert
Hi Merlin,

Glad you enjoyed the post about my top restaurants around Dublin.

I would definitely give Sova Vegan Butcher a try next time you're in Dublin, its a short walk from Grafton St and shows you a little more of what the locals like to eat and its 100% vegan - I've had the mushroom ragu and the mediterranean skewers (both 10/10).

Let me know if you need any other advice, always happy to help :)
Conor - Tourism Ireland