Covid 19 and the Common Travel Area

Covid 19 and the Common Travel Area

Author
Posted Sun 12 Dec 2021 11:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 12 Dec 2021 11:18 PM Visits: 3
I am a British Citizen and fully vaccinated re Covid 19. I wish to travel from London to Dublin for a few days between Christmas and New Year. Do I need to prove that I am negative for Covid 19 with a certified lateral flow test (i.e. a paid for service from a private firm) or can I do my own lateral flow test? I have also read that the Irish government is advising that visitors from GB should have a lateral flow test every day for the first five days of their visit - presumably a self-administered lateral flow test. If I have to go through the expense and hassle of getting a certifies lateral flow test a certain number of hours before I fly, I am not sure it is worth it for just a few days.
Ray
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Dec 2021 11:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the question!

Since Sunday 5 December 2021, all passengers to Ireland are asked to show a negative test for COVID-19. The type of test required depends on a person's vaccination status. A link to the official information can be found on our traveller health page. It is still necessary to fill in the passenger locator form online less than 72 hours prior to arriving in Ireland. 

In your case, as a fully vaccinated traveller, you will need either a negative antigen test no more than 48 hours before you arrive, and it must be carried out by a health professional or skilled testing personnel. You can’t test yourself using a lateral flow test. Alternatively, a negative PCR test carried out no more than 72 hours before you arrive in Ireland.

As you say, passengers are also being advised to take daily antigen tests for 5 consecutive days, beginning with the day of arrival (and to self-isolate immediately and seek a PCR test if they develop symptoms or have a positive antigen test). This is not compulsory only advised at this time.

Covid passports are also required to access hospitality, please also take a look at the current public health guidelines in place.

I hope this helps explain the current travel requirements. 

Martin