Grace O Malley Trail Ideas

Grace O Malley Trail Ideas

Author
Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 8:43 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My trip to Ireland I would like to visit areas with Grace O Malley history.  Also, Cong and Croagh Patrick.  I will be travelling single and would to here suggestions.  thanks
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Feb 2022 11:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 5 hours ago Visits: 3K
Hi Paul, 

Thanks for taking the time to reach out. We are excited you want to travel to the Emerald Isle and indulge in some of our histories.

Are you planning on renting a car?

I think Westport would be a good starting point for you and you could embark on The Pirate Queen, Two day Castle Trail compiled by destination Westport which is a comprehensive two-day trip covering the life of Grace and the O'Malleys.

From here you could travel to Murrisk Abbey in Croagh Patrick which was built by O'Malleys for the Augustinian Friars in1457 and featured in Grace and her family's life.

From Croagh Patrick, you could then make your way to where The Pirate Queen resided at Carraigahowley Castle

I think this gives you a general idea of a route and covers quite a lot.

Let us know if you need more help planning your trip, Paul.

Cathaoir
Tourism Ireland 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Feb 2022 1:31 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
thanks for reply.  I was planning on renting a car.  I was stationed in Holy Lock Scotland many years ago and rented a car on that trip.  I was thinking of maybe the summer of 2022 .  Like most people it all depends on covid.and covid restrictions I would be travelling single . Your suggestions are very helpful.  I will have to do some homework and if I have question Ill will ask.  I was thinking of B and B stay.  Paul
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Feb 2022 4:33 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 661
Hi Paul,

Further to Cathaoir's information, I would recommend that you take a look at our Renting a Car in Ireland page.

Also, with regard to COVID restrictions, you can stay fully up to date on our Traveller Health page.

Should you have any other queries, we're always here to help.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 6:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hi Paul, 

What an amazing trip you have planned for visiting Ireland and I can see you have had some great suggestions already.

Why not plan a visit to Derry~Londonderry?
Long an undiscovered gem, the city stands today in the midst of a compelling transformation. It is a city emerging from a long and colourful history to showcase its brilliance to the world.  Here in our City you can expect many a smile of greeting from people who are noted worldwide for their friendly hospitality.

Meander through the bustling streets of the only completely Walled City in Ireland and listen to the echoes of 1450 years of history. Stroll along its 17th century walls which are over 400 years old, and marvel at the ever-changing skyline of a city which is constant only in the warmth of its welcome. 

Take a walk across our Peace Bridge which curves across the River Foyle leading to Ebrington Square and the beautiful St Columb’s Park.

We also have a great selection of restaurants and pubs which you can view in our online visitor guide here. Then from the city it is a 1 hour drive along the beautiful Causeway Coastal Route to reach the Giant’s Causeway! I hope this information helps and I wish you the best of luck in planning your adventure. If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes, 
Amy
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 7:20 PM
View Quick Profile
thanks Amy,  Dont think I would travel north to Northern Ireland.  I do have a question .  Do you know of any sail boats or schooners that do day trips in the area.  I read there is a ferry that takes you to Clare Island but it looks like a motor ferry. tracking down Grace Omalley history , climbing Couagh Patrick and maybe going to Cong and Quite Man village might keep me busy enoughand Pubs .  I am really holding back alot of questions until my plans are solid.  In the next few months I am hoping the covid restrictions/should keep me busy.   You might find this helpful in answering questions or makin sugestions, Ill be travelling single and will be renting a car. thank you again Paul  p.s Mother side is from Irish around 1840-50s.  they were from the Limerick/Cork Area.  Last name was SweenyMcSweeny .  I kissed the Blarney Stone years ago during another trip when I was in the US Navy
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 19 Feb 2022 5:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 7 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hello Paul,

It sounds like you have most of your trip planned thanks to our member's suggestions!

There are a few options to follow the steps of Grace O'Malley in Co. Mayo as explained above. You can indeed take the Clare Island ferry and I would suggest you get in touch with tour operators or local tour guides beforehand. There is also a possibility to book a smaller boat here, but this seems to be suitable for groups only. Furthermore, here's more information on hiking Croagh Patrick you might find useful

I hope this helps 😊
Antoine