What's your opinion about woofing

What's your opinion about woofing

Author
Posted Tue 8 Feb 2022 9:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 9 Feb 2022 2:27 PM Visits: 451
Hi everyone!

I want to travel to Ireland soon and to discover this amazing country. I am a Spanish teacher working in France. I was looking for my trip's possibilities when I found "woofing". I would like to spend like a month in Ireland (maybe in May, June or July) but I don't want to throw away all of my savings. I had considered different options to travel without getting poor: for example, working as a housekeeping or a kitchen porter (but I'm not Irish and maybe it's not easy to get a summer job or temporary job), working as au pair (not really good working conditions actually) or woofing. Woofing sounds great but I don't have any idea about it. 

Have you ever done a woofing stay abroad? What do you think is the best option for me? Do you know of any other possibility? 

All of your help will be welcome!!!! Thank youuu
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Feb 2022 12:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 20
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 8 hours ago Visits: 11.2K
Hello Mery,

Welcome to our Community forum! We're so glad to hear that you want to spend some time in Ireland!

As far as I know, Woofing is a travel option used by many and known worldwide. This type of tourism has grown a lot in recent years and it's a form of homestay tourism, where you do some work in exchange for free accommodation.

I suggest you take a look at this thread on our forum, where you'll find a lot of information about Woofing in Ireland and useful links where to look for this kind of opportunities on the island. You'll also find a link to WWOOF Ireland, a page that explains in detail what type of works tourists are expected to carry out while staying in the farms. 

I hope this can help you to get a better idea of the program and help you find the better option for staying one month on the island.

Remember that hostels are also a good option to save some money, you can use our accommodation search page to look for them all over the island. Do you already have any place in mind where you would like to spend your time in Ireland?

Is there anyone among our members who already did this experience and would like to share some suggestions and help Mery to find the best travel option for her?

Greetings, 

Valentina
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 10 Feb 2022 4:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Mery,

How lovely that you want to come explore our green island, and do it through WWOOFing! I would just like to add my two cents to this thread and hopefully help you in your planning. I did WWOOFing in other countries, and can highly recommend it.

Valentina has already shared some excellent resources - I hope you will find these helpful.

From my experience, it is certainly a very budget-friendly way to travel, as accommodation and food are covered. This in exchange for a very modest amount of work which is often very enjoyable. You will certainly have more time to travel and explore than if you found yourself a temporary job in hospitality. 

The biggest bonus of WWOOFing however lies in living with locals. You will discover their way of life and will have an opportunity to learn about sustainable ways of living and working. Very often you will get insider tips on things to see and do in the vicinity. 

I hope this gives you an idea of the unique experience that WWOOFing can add to any trip. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

We would also be very happy to hear about your WWOOFing adventure if you decide to use it - please feel free to come back to the Community forum to share your personal experiences! 

Enjoy your travel planning,

Kind regards,

Vera