Car Hire In Ireland

Car Hire In Ireland

Author
Posted Wed 16 Feb 2022 11:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
It’s hard to beat renting a vehicle and setting off on your own adventure. Whether it’s a car, a campervan, or a motorcycle, the rental process is pretty straightforward, but here are the answers to some quick questions you may have: 

📋What do I need to rent a vehicle in Ireland?
You will need a valid driver’s licence and a credit card to pre-authorise the excess fee or a deposit at the time of pick up. You will require an international driving licence if your licence was issued outside the EU or UK.

💳Can I rent a car without a Credit Card?
There are a few car rental companies that do provide the option of renting a car without a credit card. For example, using a debit card registered to the driver's name or paying extra insurance to reduce the excess fee to zero. Keep in mind that a pre-auth means it will put a hold on your funds. As there are some requirements and conditions, reach out to the rental company directly before booking to discuss the options.

📑How does insurance work with vehicle rentals? 
Insurance is generally included in the cost of your vehicle rental and your rental company may offer additional protection that can reduce the amount you pay out of pocket in case of an accident, injury, or theft. Always check your rental agreement so you understand the terms of your cover and if you have any questions, be sure to ask your rental company. The Car Rental Council of Ireland and the British Vehicle and Leasing Association websites are great sources of information on what you need to think about and provide a list of the available companies across the island.

🧾Do I need to pay a deposit? 
Depending on the company, you may need to pay a deposit on your rental. In most cases, provided you return your vehicle in the same condition, your deposit will be returned but just to be sure, have a thorough look at your vehicle before you leave the rental company. If you notice any signs of damage, make sure both you and the rental company are made aware so you can avoid liability. 

🚘Are there age restrictions on vehicle rental?  
Most rental companies will not rent to drivers under 25 but there is no upper age limit. However, if you are over 75, you will be asked to meet additional requirements – your rental company can give you full details. Age restrictions for motorcycle rental on the island of Ireland vary but are generally around 23-25 years.  

🕹️Can I get a vehicle with an automatic transmission in Ireland? 
Most vehicles in Ireland have a manual transmission but automatics are available on request. If you want to rent an automatic, you should reserve it ahead of your visit, as they tend to get booked up quickly.  

🗺️Can I travel to Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland with the same rental?
Most rental companies will allow you to travel throughout the island. Make sure to mention that you are planning to travel across both parts of Ireland at the time of booking or picking up your rental. Extra fees may apply to ensure your cover and assistance no matter where you are on the island. 

Check out our guide to vehicle rental in Ireland for more helpful tips and advice, including tolls and itinerary ideas.