Downpatrick Baptismal records 1896

Downpatrick Baptismal records 1896

Author
Posted Wed 16 Feb 2022 10:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:47 PM Visits: 7
Hello
I am really stumped and have reached out to GRONI, irishgeneology.com and also have spoken to certficates.ie.  None of them can find the records of my grandfathers birth.  
His younger and older brothers were both born in Downpatrick: One born in 1894 and the other born in 1899.  I can find both registered in the District of Killyleagh.  My grandfather was born in 1896 (right between his brothers).  
I am pretty certain that there isn't a Registration for his birth, but was hoping to possibly find a baptismal registration.  That would mean that I would need to reach out to the local church that may house some of those records.  
My ask is if you can help me narrow down which church to start with or possibly have some other source I could reach out to.
My grandfather was Robert Samuel Hood (born 1896).  His father was Robert Hood also.  His Mother was Margaret Katherine Hood (Taylor)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark Johannes
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Feb 2022 10:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Mark,

Thanks for the question!

It seems that you have already been hard at it and found the records for your grandfather's siblings. It sounds most strange that his birth wasn't registered as well. 

The John Grenham website has a list of civil parishes and places under the District of Killyleagh, this may be a place to start your search for the correct church or parish at least. Would you know if they were Catholic or Protestant?

It is also possible that they were not on the island of Ireland at the time of his birth, although unusual, it is a possibility!

Hopefully, our members and industry partners will be able to help with some more information.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Feb 2022 3:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)Gaining Respect (185 reputation)
Hi Martin
Thanks for the lead....I'll check out the site.  According to the census records (1901 and 1911), they were Church of Ireland.
Appreciate your help.
Mark
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 10:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting back to us!

As they are noted as Church of Ireland, you may also wish to have a look at the Diocese of Down and Dromore website. They have a find a church section that may give you some more ways of finding the right spot.

There is St John the Evangelist in Killyleagh, this may have been the one if they lived close by.

We hope this helps, please let us know how things go, hopefully, you can find out some more information on your grandfather.

Regards,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 4:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Mark, I've had a look and I don't see his birth record so I think, as you have suggested, his birth was not registered.

There are baptismal records for Killyleagh Church of Ireland from 1813 to 1921. We have not yet transcribed these records onto www.rootsireland.ie but they are available for consultation on microfilm in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) under reference MIC1/58A-B. 

If you are not in a position to visit PRONI yourself, you could commission us to look through the register for you here: http://www.ancestryireland.com/research-services/submit-initial-research/

Best wishes, 

Gillian

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Mar 2022 6:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Mark

I see that according to civil birth registers at irishgenealogy.ie that Robert Samuel Hood's siblings, i.e. George in 1894 and John in 1899, were born in Crossgar which is served by Church of Ireland parish of Kilmore, County Down. A microfilm copy of register of this church, dating from 1820, are held in PRONI at MIC1/59. However, the registers covering the 1890s may be held locally by the Rector of this parish, contact details at https://www.downanddromore.org/find-a-church/kilmore 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thank you for your help. Is there any way to view the micro film registers without being in person?
I am doing this research from Alaska and not sure how I would get a chance to view those documents.
Thanks for your insight and assistance
Mark
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Mr Hunt
I see your offer to view the records. I will take a look at the link you provided.  Thanks!
Mark