Knife Forging

Knife Forging

Author
Posted Sun 20 Feb 2022 6:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 21 Feb 2022 7:16 PM Visits: 181
My husband, grandson, and myself are visiting Ireland in June. We would like to have our 15 year old grandson visit a forge and make a knife. Does anyone know where we can do that? Also which folk parks are the best to visit? My husband and I visited about ten years ago and saw Bunratty and the Ulster American Folk Museum. We plan to be in the NW part of Ireland to enjoy the outdoors most of the time with a trip into Northern Ireland for a few other attractions. 
Thank you
Sally Haines 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 21 Feb 2022 1:34 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (778 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hello Sally,

It's great to hear you and your family are visiting Ireland!

Blade Smithing sounds like such a fun activity! There are quite a few bladesmithing short courses on the island, some to mention are Calnan & Anhoj in Wicklow, Hot Milk Forge in Antrim and the Swifts Forge, in Antrim as well. 

Bunratty is always a fantastic place to visit. However, other parks that we can recommend in the north of the island are Tollymore Forest Park and Slieve Gullion Forest Park, both in Northern Ireland, or Glenveagh National Park, in Donegal. 

We hope you find these recommendations useful.

Wishing you a great day,

David