Walking festivals 2022

Walking festivals 2022

Author
Posted Sun 20 Feb 2022 11:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 20 Feb 2022 11:42 PM Visits: 1
This is a concept new to me. I am visiting Ireland in May 2022 and would like to participate in a walking festival but don’t find a great many listed. Is there a website with a definitive list of them? I see only the Connemara at the very beginning of May. Thanks, Nancy Wright

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 21 Feb 2022 3:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hello Nancy,

Thank you for your interesting question! We are glad to hear you want to join in walking activities on the Emerald Isle and I'm happy to share some resources with you.

On our website you can find an article that offers a bit of context and history of the idea of walking festivals in Ireland. We are not aware of a comprehensive calendar, but agree with you that it would be a great idea! 

If you search for 'Irish Walking Festivals May 2022' you may find some in addition to the Connemara festival you found. For instance, the Inishbofin Walking Festival, on 20 and 21 May this year, or the South Sligo Walking Festival.

As Covid has had a big impact on tourism and travel in Ireland over the last two years this may also affect how many festivals will go ahead this year. The Dingle Walking Festival for instance used to happen in May each year until 2020, but the dates for this year have yet to be confirmed. 

I want to thank you again for bringing up this great question, so we can share better resources with you in the future. I hope you find a wonderful event where you can join in the walking fun with local hikers. I hope the links I provided are useful - please do let us know if you end up participating and how you liked it!

Kind regards,

Vera

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)Industry Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 24 Feb 2022 5:14 PM Visits: 4
Hi Nancy,

Why not join Ireland’s longest running walking festival in the Slieve Bloom Mountains, home to Europe's oldest mountain range. The Walking Festival takes place over 3 days on the May Bank Holiday Weekend and you could treat yourself to a lovely stay in some the villages on the foothills like Kinnitty. The area hosts a superb group of guides and there will be a range of walks for all abilities and interests.
For more info check out these links - 
https://slievebloom.ie/
https://www.visitoffaly.ie/

Any questions just ask at; info@visitoffaly.ie

Best of luck.