Ireland-Scotland Trip Questions

Ireland-Scotland Trip Questions

Author
Posted Wed 23 Feb 2022 9:06 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:31 PM Visits: 1.7K
We (Myself, wife and 2 sons) are planning a trip to Ireland from the US late next month (March).  We are all fully vaccinated (with my wife and myself having the booster shots and the boys having only the (2) shots, but would be well within the 270 day limit).  We would like to travel to Scotland (via ferry) for a few days as well, but do not know what the COVID rules are between the two countries and is it even feasible to do so.  Would it is be plausible to travel to Scotland or too much of a hassle given the circumstances?

Also, the current COVID departure procedures for travel back to the US are Negative PCR test result within one calendar day of departure.  As long as we receive that result within 24hrs of departure, we should OK, right?  Meaning, if we get the test done, say, a day and a half before departure and get the results within the 24hr period, that will satisfy the rules?
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Feb 2022 10:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Shawn,

It is lovely to hear that you and your family are planning on coming to see us at the end of March!

There have been some recent changes to the current travel and public health guidelines. To keep up to date as you try to make plans, we'd suggest keeping an eye on our own Traveler's Health Page for all official resources and links to current information. There are links to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland as different rules apply in the different locations. You will also need to look at the rules for Scotland as dates and changes are planned on the mainland too.

It is possible to take a ferry from Larne or Belfast to Scotland, just check with the car rental company that they allow this, you also need to tell them that you intend to travel to Northern Ireland for insurance purposes.

With regards to the test required to return home, please have a look at the page on travel to the USA. The test needs to be taken within one day of departure so if traveling on a Saturday it needs to be taken on the Friday. The test result can be from either an antigen, PCR or LAMP test. There are locations at Dublin Airport and also in the city where you can get a test with the results within 24 hours. Please have a look at this official website on RT-PCR tests for helpful locations.

I hope this helps and that you can fill your time with us here on the island of Ireland.

Where have you planned to see while here with us so far?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 1 Mar 2022 4:12 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)I'm into this (221 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 28 Mar 2022 8:31 PM Visits: 1.7K
Killarny, Galway, near Wexford, and of course, Dublin are the locations we will be staying.  We plan to make day trips from these locations.

I am reading now that self-tests are accepted for re-entry into the US such as the EMed Self-Testing Kit.   I just want to confirm this is true and how do we present the test results and attestation to the airlines?
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Mar 2022 10:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Shawn,

It sounds like you have chosen some lovely base locations for your time with us! There are plenty of possible day trips to keep you all busy along the Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland's Ancient East, and Dublin.

Regarding the test you need to return to the US, we would suggest that you contact your airline to make sure that the EMed test is satisfactory as we do not keep ourselves up to date with entry requirements to other countries. The CDC website has some information under their Test and Documentation section that you may wish to look at, again it gives guidance on the required test.

We hope that you have a great time with us, please let us know when you are on the island of Ireland and how things are going as you travel.

Best wishes,

Martin