Physical disability wanting to see amazing lanscapes

Physical disability wanting to see amazing lanscapes

Author
Posted Fri 11 Mar 2022 12:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:51 AM Visits: 21
Hello from Australia,

I got into landscape photography about a year ago and I think Ireland is the best place in the world for it. So I thought why not.

I have a mainly physical disability, I use a hiking pole (as a walking stick) or my partner.

Anything but hard and flat ground is not easy to walk on IE slightly sloppy grass to some things being impossible like hilly dusty tracks.

I can do a small number of steps alright, stair-cases or lots of steps are quite bothersome.

I mainly wanted to see the Ring of Kerry.

I was thinking of doing a self-drive trip (7ish days) with my partner or would you recommend anything else (driving is still fine)
I'm a bit slow because of everything so I don't think a tour bus/group would be good.

Would all or none of the amazing landscape trip ideas be possible or mostly possible or is that too broad of a question?

How about

Ireland's Southern Peninsulas - https://www.ireland.com/en-au/plan-your-trip/trip_ideas/irelands-southern-peninsulas/

and maybe

Cliffs and Coves - https://www.ireland.com/en-au/plan-your-trip/trip_ideas/cliffs-and-coves-wild-atlantic-way/

Cheers All

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Mar 2022 7:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Bevan,

Thank you for reaching out!

It's wonderful to hear that you're planning this visit! I'm sure that you'll take plenty of gorgeous photos while here, and I do hope you'll stop by to share your experiences and stories with us after this trip.

In regards to this visit, I'd be more than happy to help you plan a trip that you can enjoy to its fullest! The best advice I can give is to break down each of these larger trips into areas that you would or would not be comfortable exploring. Different locations along the same route may have different levels of accommodations or starkly different terrain.

Regarding the Ring of Kerry, there are several spots that I think might be perfect for you to explore! The first of which is Killarney National Park. It's a wonderfully scenic location, but also features easy trails that visitors can walk and cycle. In addition, there are amazing options for exploring this park, including by horse-drawn carriage. This option would open up more difficult areas, like the Gap of Dunloe.

Likewise, the Cliffs of Moher have a number of accessibility options, including golf carts to make the trek to the cliff's edge a bit easier.

These are just two incredible options, but I'm certain that there are more! I'd recommend taking a peek at this article about accessibility here in Ireland, which has some helpful information and advice.

Is there anywhere, in particular, that's calling to you? I'd love to hear about your plans and offer a bit more advice if needed!

~Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 12 Mar 2022 12:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 12 Mar 2022 10:51 AM Visits: 21
Hi Rochelle,

Thanks for your info and help.

I wouldn't say no to help, but I'm a bit slow planning things as well. I wouldn't mind buying like a self-drive + accommodation tour package, or talk to a agent of some kind, but I haven't been able to find any that say anything about accessibility or easy etc.

I had a look at your links, the Killarney National Park page looks similar to what Australia has on there national parks which I frequent when I can. I like the graded walks info; I like bushwalking but could probably only definitely do multi-access and easy (not easy for me), moderate walks would be a 50% chance of completing I think.

I saw the accessibility link but I could only see some good info about public transport, accommodation and heritage sites (like castles?). No landscape stuff?

Ideally I would like to do something like the best of Ireland - https://www.irishtourism.com/vacations/best-of-ireland-tour-8-night-self-drive/ edit: (it may take more than 8 days for me which is fine.)

So like a bit of time in Dublin, then circle Ireland seeing a castle or two but mainly natural landscape stuff.
Do all the best landscape stuff have national park like pages like Killarney, I think that would be helpful.
edit: I think throwing in a couple of tour things like the horse drawn carriage and/or a ferry/cruise (if I can board) would be good.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 13 Mar 2022 10:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)Community Expert (345 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 18 Apr 2024 11:44 AM Visits: 621
Hi Bevan,

You are welcome! 😊

Don't worry, take your time to plan this holiday in every detail.
Since you are still in the middle of your searches, I also recommend that you take a look at our offers page, you may find something you like.

For more information about accessibility, I would recommend you to contact who is organizing the tour/holiday directly. It is the safest and fastest way to get certain details! 

I would suggest the same regarding public transport or other tourist attractions. If the information is not available on the official websites, I believe it is necessary to contact the facilities directly by e-mail or phone.
It takes a little patience, but that's what we would do too. 😉

The “Best of Ireland Tour (8 Night)” seems to be great and I agree that it could be a solution.
It will allow you to visit the main attractions of Waterford or Kilkenny, Cork, Kerry, Galway and Dublin.
A complete tour that suits your needs!

In the end, we recommend that you use our site, as it is full of great ideas to plan any holiday. From what to do depending on the activities, to how to visit hidden gems of Ireland.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

Have a great day! ☘️

Elisa