Need Advice in Deciding Dates for Ireland Road Trip

Need Advice in Deciding Dates for Ireland Road Trip

Author
Posted Thu 17 Mar 2022 3:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 17 Mar 2022 10:24 PM Visits: 9
Hello!

My husband and I are in the process of planning a 10-day Ireland road trip this fall. We don't have an itinerary set in stone yet, but we plan to start in Dublin and drive our way around the country. We have a pretty solid idea of stops (not necessarily in this order): Dublin, Galway, Lahinch (to golf), Kilkenny, Killarney, Dingle Peninsula, Donegal, Cork, Cobh, and Glendalough, of course making all of the iconic stops along the way. 

We are trying to decide between the end of September (so possibly Sept. 28 - Oct. 7) or the end of October (so possibly Oct. 19 - Oct. 28). Flights, at the moment, are around $50-$100 cheaper if we go at the end of October. 

So my question is, is there a big difference in weather between those 2 timeframes? And, are there any major attractions that would possibly be closed in late October? 

Thanks!
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Mar 2022 9:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Alycia! 

It's so good to hear that you and your husband are planning a trip to our little island!

Regarding the weather here on the Emerald Isle, it's actually quite temperate! As an island, there aren't really drastic weather changes, particularly over the span of just a few weeks. That said, we do have a lovely article right on our website that's all about planning for the weather while here. There is a bit of a temperature difference expected between September and October, of about 5 degrees Fahrenheit, which may play into your plans.

In regards to things to do, there's plenty to do at both of these times! In fact, if you do pop by in late October, you will be just in time for the Púca Festival

If you'd like to learn more, there's a helpful article that covers many of the big festivals and activities here in Ireland! Just set the dates you intend to visit, and it'll list any attractions that are open during that time. I'm sure it'll be a huge help! 

If you need more help or would just like to chat about your visit, please feel free to stop by again! I'd love to hear from you, and I'm sure others here would too!

Warmly,
Rochelle