Safe to drink tap water?

Safe to drink tap water?

Author

Posted Wed 23 Mar 2022 12:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 23 Mar 2022 12:18 PM Visits: 6
Hello,

Maybe this a difficult question for you to answer, but I’ll give it a try anyway.

I’m from Sweden and I’m going to visit the village of Dunquin (Dún Chaoin) in the Dingle Peninsula in a couple of weeks.

Since Dunquin is very small and quite remote – do you think it’s safe for a Swedish person to drink the tap water there without getting sick?

Thank you. 😊

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 23 Mar 2022 2:08 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:03 PM Visits: 661
Hello,

That's a great question. The straightforward answer is yes, the tap water in Ireland - and specifically in Dunquin, County Kerry - is safe to drink.

On rare occasions, a boil water notice may be issued in a particular part of the country. On the off-chance that this affects your stay, you will be made aware by the proprietors.

It's worth pointing out that the Irish word for water is uisce. The Irish word for whiskey is uisce beatha, which can be translated as 'water of life'. So, whether you are enjoying the tap water or the whiskey in Ireland, you can rest assured that it is safe (and delicious!).

Regards,
Eoin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 23 Mar 2022 5:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)Gaining Respect (177 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 18 May 2022 4:57 PM Visits: 727
Hi.
Apart from in areas of Dublin, I have always found our local tap water to be of excellent quality.
I have also visited Sweden several times and drank the tap water every time and it never caused me any issues. I am therefore assuming that Irish water and Swedish water are not dissimilar in purity.