International driving license? I want to rent a car!

International driving license? I want to rent a car!

Author
Posted Sun 10 Apr 2022 11:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 12 Apr 2022 2:36 PM Visits: 12
Hello!

My friend and I will be travelling to Ireland from Canada in July of this year (2022). I read on the Ireland tourism website that we need a International driving license? We are both licensed drivers and will only be renting a car for 24 hours (In Northern Ireland). Does anyone know the rules on this? I tried to google it but had no luck.

Thank you!

Kirsty.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Apr 2022 10:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Kirsty,

Thanks for taking the time to ask your question here!

Canadian full license holders can rent a car in Northern Ireland with their Canadian license and do not need an International license. It would be best to contact some different rental car companies directly to make sure that you have the correct documents for them as their terms and conditions vary. Please also mention if you intend to drive from Northern Ireland into the Republic of Ireland as this would have insurance requirements.

We have a page on rental cars on our website which you have probably seen already that has a link to the British Vehicle Rental & Leasing Association which have some rental tips on their website.

What have you planned to see and do during your time with us in July?
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Apr 2022 1:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 12 Apr 2022 2:36 PM Visits: 12
Hi Martin

Thank you very much for your assistance!

We will only be renting for one day in Northern Ireland, just driving from Belfast to Giants Causeway and back. The rest of our trip we will be using public transport, but we wanted to drive ourselves on the Causeway Route. I will contact the rental companies to ensure we have what we need.

In regards to the rest of our trip- we will be actually coming in from Wales and landing in Dublin for a few days, then by train we will be going to Belfast, spending some time there and then going on our little trip up the Causeway. Are there any more reputable sites for booking train tickets/ any public transport tips? Thanks!

Regards,

Kirsty
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Apr 2022 9:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Kirsty,

Thanks for getting back!

The train company in the Republic of Ireland is Irish Rail. You will be able to book tickets and see the timetables on their website. They operate a rolling 3-month timetable so the dates in July you are with us may not be available to buy online yet but keep looking!

Bus Éireann operates the national bus network, so they are great for trips as well. In Dublin, there are plenty of public transport options and tour operator companies that offer day trips. Paddywagon Tours, Wild Rover Tours, and DoDublin Tours would be examples of the many operators to choose from.

Belfast has plenty to see and do too. There is a hop-on hop-off bus that you can use to get around the city and beyond. That said, most attractions are within walking distance in the city and it is a lovely place to walk around.

I hope this helps and you both have a great time with us. Feel free to ask any more questions and let us know when you are here and what you have managed to see.

Warm regards,

Martin