From Dublin to Belfast

From Dublin to Belfast

Author
Posted Fri 15 Apr 2022 7:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 18 Apr 2022 9:36 PM Visits: 231
Hi everyone,
Next month I am going to travel to Dublin and I want to visit also Belfast and meet an old friend. Here is my question: I read on this website that is ok if I just bring my ID card if my arrival and departure will start from the Republic of Ireland. 
Other sites mention that I must need the passport even just to visit the city for a day.
I hope someone will read the text and give me some news.

Thanks everyone :)
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 16 Apr 2022 10:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Nik,

How lovely you will come over to visit an old friend in Belfast! I understand it can still be a bit tricky to find up-to-date and correct information about current travel procedures. I assume you are a European citizen, is that correct? 

It is true that for a European citizen a photo ID suffices for travel around all of the island of Ireland - as long as you arrive in and depart from the Republic of Ireland. If you scroll down in the article you will find links to official government websites which explain the policy and procedure in detail.

I hope this is helpful and that you can now look forward to a wonderful visit with your friend! Please let me know if you need more information or inspiration for your upcoming trip. Belfast is a wonderful city with much to see and do, enjoy! 

Kind regards,

Vera