Keogh Family, Dunshaughlin, County Meath & Dublin

Keogh Family, Dunshaughlin, County Meath & Dublin

Author
Posted Sat 23 Apr 2022 7:55 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 25 Oct 2023 10:18 PM Visits: 1.5K
I am looking for relatives in Ireland of my grandfather, Patrick Joseph Keogh (1897-1959), born in Dunshaughlin, County Meath, who emigrated to Ottawa, and then New York City.  My mother's brother. Thomas Keogh (now deceased), and his wife Roseanne Keogh, visited my great aunt Aggie at 203 Swords Road, Whitehall, Dublin 9 in 1969 and met my mother and uncle's cousin, Thomas (son of Christopher Keogh) and his wife (Nora? Maura?) at the time.  My mother's New York cousins, John and Anne ("Lily-Anne") O'Grady, visited my great aunt Aggie in Ireland with their parents Peter O'Grady and Matilda ("Tilly") Keogh O'Grady, and kept in touch, but are all now deceased and the Ireland family contact information lost.  Any information or assistance would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

Patricia Slater
[Redacted due to privacy reasons]

Questions: 
1.  Does anyone know of any members of the family still living?
2.  What would be the best way to trace living family members?

Background:
Parents:  Thomas Keogh (born 1852/54) and Anne Dunne Keogh (birth year unknown)
Siblings: 
- Jane (born 1885?), "Jenny"; trained as RN at St. Vincent's, Dublin, emigrated to Canada, last husband Gordon Elder; children Bernice Elder, Merlin Elder, Ross Elder (died at 4)
- Mary Anne (born 1887), "Molly"; married Jim O'Carroll, son Jim 
- John (born 1890), emigrated to England and worked as a turf accountant
- Thomas (born 1892), left Ireland at age 15 for parts unknown, possibly Australia, possibly via a merchant ship
- Matilda (born 1891?), "Tilly"' emigrated to New York City, married Peter O'Grady, a plumber, and worked as a pastry chef in a big Manhattan hotel (the St. Regis?); children John and Anne ("Lilly-Anne") both now deceased
- Alice (born 1891?), stayed in Ireland, married James Brennan, daughter Nancy Brennan Kelly
- Christopher (born 1900?), stayed in Ireland, son Thomas
- Bridget Agnes (birth year unknown, although after 1901), "Aggie"; emigrated to New York City, retired in Ireland around age 70.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Apr 2022 12:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)Community Expert (352 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 24 Jul 2024 6:06 PM Visits: 673
Hello Patricia!

Thank you so much for contacting us!
We are happy that you want to find out more about your Irish roots and we are here to help. 😊

First of all, you may find some useful links on our page about Irish genealogy resources.

Before 1864, records were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county based genealogical centers.

In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), through the Irish Genealogy website, to this day.

These are two excellent starting points. ✔️

You can also try to find more information on the Surname Website by John Grenham and on Find My Past, a lovely website that may be of help too.
You can also reach them by email at support@findmypast.ie.

We hope this helps and you are able to find some information on your ancestors.
For any other questions, we are here.

Good luck! ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 20 Aug 2023 10:04 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 20 Aug 2023 9:59 PM Visits: 2
Hi Patricia, only seeing your message today, I am Anne Keogh, my Dad is Thomas Keogh son of Christopher who’s sister was Tilly and Aggie.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Sep 2023 12:27 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)I'm into this (224 reputation)
Hi Anne,  

Thanks for contacting me, and apologies for the delay in responding.  I've been trying to find my grandfather's family, as has my cousin, so it was wonderful to see your message.  I plan to make another trip to Ireland to work on genealogy sometime in 2024 or 2025. Last trip my husband and I stayed in the west and ran out of time to explore records in Dublin. 

First of all, let me tell you who I am.  I'm the granddaughter of Patrick Joseph Keogh (Christopher's brother who immigrated first to Canada and then to the United States); daughter of Mary Patricia Keogh Slater (Patrick's oldest daughter, deceased).  I live in the metropolitan Washington, DC area, specifically Takoma Park, a Maryland suburb just over the DC line. My cousin, Mary Campbell McCarroll, who is also interested in the Keogh family is also the granddaughter of Patrick, and the daughter of Annemarie, Patrick's second child, also deceased.  She lives in Saint Louis, Missouri, as do many of her siblings.  I think she’s on Ireland Crossing. 

We lost contact with our Irish relatives when my mother's cousin Anne ("Lily Anne") O'Grady, daughter of Matilda ("Tillie") Keogh O'Grady (twin of Alice Keogh Brennan) and older sister of Patrick and Christopher) died. She had all the addresses and her brother John could not find them.  Tilly stayed in Manhattan, where she died.  Bridget ("Aggie") Keogh who also lived in New York City (Manhattan I believe) and returned to Dublin in the1960s.  My sister Margaret ("Peggy") has a picture circa 1970 of my Uncle Tommy (Patrick's youngest child, Thomas Anthony Keogh (deceased)) and his wife Roseanne visiting your family I believe at Aunt Aggie's at her Sword Road house.  I will send a picture after I visit Peggy in late October to see if you recognize anyone. 

Many thanks,  Pat Slater

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Oct 2023 10:18 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
Hi Anne.

Here is the picture of my Uncle Tommy (1936-1988?), son of Patrick Joseph Keogh (1897-1958) (standing far right) with Bridget Agnes "Aggie" Keogh (1902-?) seated with a child on her lap with "Tom Keogh, Uncle Christopher's son" according to the notation on the back of the photo by my mother, Mary Patricia "Patsy" Keogh (1928-2023).  Is this your family?  This was taken in Dublin ca 1969-70 when my Uncle Tommy and his wife, Roseanne, were visiting Aunt Aggie and family.  Is this your family?  My Aunt Roseanne says that your family possiby lived in Canada (although this was in a recent conversation and her memory is now not so good).  

Thanks.

Pat Slater
(removed as per privacy rules)