International Drivers Permit for Australian Tourist

International Drivers Permit for Australian Tourist

Author
Posted Sun 24 Apr 2022 3:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 24 Apr 2022 7:29 AM Visits: 573
Hey,

My partner and I are travelling to Ireland for a rental car road trip next week, our travel agent never told us about needing an IDP and i've seen conflicting information regarding this. We will be travelling to Dublin, Galway, and Belfast.

The Australian Automotive Association says an IDP is required, but the Car Rental Council of Ireland says only a valid national driver's licence is required. Our rental confirmation says an IDL/IDP is required for non-english speaking countries, but with Australia being english speaking i had assumed this meant we wont require one.

I have a full open licence in Australia and am just looking for confirmation if I am required to also have the IDP as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Apr 2022 9:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Callum,

Thank you for your question - I understand it can be difficult to find the definite answer to your question. I'm very happy to help you find the answer you need!

On the Irish Citizen Information website you can find a clear answer: as a member of a so-called 'recognized state' you can drive up to one year around Ireland on your Australian driving licence. On our website you can read a bit more about thinks to bear in mind when driving in Ireland

I hope you can now look forward to a great drive around the Emerald Isle without worries. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, we are here for you. 

Kind regards,

Vera