Dog friendly beaches

Dog friendly beaches

Author
Posted Mon 2 May 2022 9:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 2 May 2022 6:06 PM Visits: 17
Hello.  
We're travelling to Connemara and Co Clare in August.  Please can someone let me know what beaches we can take our two dogs to during the day.  I'm having trouble trying to locate any as they all seem to ban dogs between 10am and 6pm so not really family dog friendly!
Any info gratefully received.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 2 May 2022 10:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Anne,

Thanks for the question!

As of August 1st, 2008, dogs are not permitted on Galway City beaches or their waters between the hours of 9 am and 8 pm during the months of May, June, July, August, and September.

In County Clare, beach bye-laws are in place with horse riding and dogs prohibited between 11:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. during the summer season. Before 11 a.m. and after 6 p.m. dogs are allowed but must be on a lead.

For dog owners, this does seem like an unfriendly practice but the beach is for the enjoyment of all and many who come with small children are comforted by the fact that any dogs, under control and friendly as they may be, are not on the beaches during the day.

There are other places that you can visit where dogs on leads are allowed, Connemara National Park is a beautiful place as is Kylemore Abbey where you can visit with a dog. Also, in County Clare, there are places to visit with dogs, the Cliffs of Moher being a favourite with everyone.

I hope this helps, are there any other places that you have on your itinerary for your time with us?

Regards,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 2 May 2022 5:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)Gaining Respect (183 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 2 May 2022 6:06 PM Visits: 17
Hi Martin
Thanks for your reply. 
Its really disappointing to find out that there are no beaches at all that we can go to if we're lucky enough to get a sunny day especially as the 'beach is for everyone to enjoy' - just not if you are a family with a dog!

Thank you for the additional information regarding where dogs are more welcome.

I'm finding that Eire is not particularly dog friendly when it comes to accommodation either with a very limited choice available so we might have a rethink.

Kind Regards
Anne
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 May 2022 9:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Anne,

Thanks for getting back to us.

As a resident and dog owner I sympathize with your comment, I just go in the evening when everyone else has gone!

Regarding dog-friendly accommodation, please have a look at the website This is Galway as they have an article on dog-friendly places to stay and also eat and play. In addition, there is a blog by PawsFriendly worth a read too as is the existing community forum post Taking dogs into pubs

I would also like to suggest that you have a look at our website page on bringing your pet to Ireland for the latest information.

Hopefully, you will find what you are looking for and that you can enjoy your time with us with your family and furry friend! 🐕

Best wishes,

Martin