Gailteene Barony Location

Gailteene Barony Location

Author
Posted Mon 2 May 2022 7:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 May 2022 1:36 PM Visits: 13
I have an Irish ancestor, Robert Butler, who died in Gailteene Barony, in 1659. His daughter, Martha Butler (1622-1693), immigrated to America and married Robert Bullock (1620-1672). However, I can find no information on the location of Gailteene Barony in Ireland. I am visiting Ireland this Fall, and I would very much like to visit Robert Butler's home town. Can anyone help me with this?
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 May 2022 9:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Hal,

Thanks for letting us know of your family connection to the Butlers, in particular, Robert Butler who died in 1659!

I have had a look for the barony of Gailteene, and as you said, there isn't a location listed by that name.

There is a Butler Society that I did come across that may be worth getting in touch with. We do not know the organisation specifically but they may be able to help with your search.

Hopefully, our members and industry partners may be able to help.

Have you any other plans of what to see and do during your time with us later in the year?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 May 2022 4:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 May 2022 1:36 PM Visits: 13
Thank you for the lead on the Butler Society. I will try to contact them. My wife and I both have ancestors in Ulster: Counties Antrim (McCauley, McCrory, Crawford), Cavan (Kavanaugh) and Londonderry (Leverty, Brennon, McPeak), so we plan to visit some of the towns we believe they were born in. I also have some ancestors from County Carlow.

Of course we also want to spend time in Dublin and see the western cliffs. We have only 10 days in Ireland, so it will easy to fill our time. Perhaps you can suggest some interesting places to visit and see that may not be the typical tourist sites like Blarney Castle.

Thank you again,
Hal
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 May 2022 9:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Hal,

Thanks for getting back to us!

It certainly sounds like you will have a full trip with us, so many places to visit with family connections.

Dublin has so many wonderful places to see, you will have no trouble at all filling your time there and the Cliffs of Moher are a special place to see too!

For some lesser-known locations, Ireland's hidden Heartlands may help with some extra ideas. More inland than the usual coastal delights but plenty to see and do.

Hopefully, these will add some different places for you, we hope you have a great time and maybe stumble across some Butlers on the way!

Best wishes,

Martin