Ryan's from Cashel

Ryan's from Cashel

Author
Posted Sat 7 May 2022 11:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 7 May 2022 11:09 PM Visits: 3
Hello. I will be visiting Ireland for the first time this Fall. Dream of a lifetime for me. I know my great-great grandfather Michael Ryan and his wife Ellen lived in Cashel and left Ireland in 1848 with two small children, John and Thomas. They walked to Limerick where they boarded the sailing ship Jane Black and sailed to Quebec. Would love to find direct descendents but I realize there are a great number of Ryan's in that area. Any ideas? Also, what's the best way to travel from Dublin to Cashel?
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 May 2022 8:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 6 Mar 2024 1:16 PM Visits: 9.4K
Hello Nancy,

That truly sounds like a dream come true and a trip of a lifetime! Do you already know how much time you're going to spend on the island later this year?

For anyone born before 1864 the records were kept as church and parish records. While unfortunately some of these records have been lost, you can try and start your search here. Another page you might want to look at is the Beyond 2022 research project. By the end of June '22 this website is due to launch the Virtual Record Treasury of Ireland online. This will be an open-access resource and a great tool for your research.

With regards to travelling from Dublin to county Tipperary there are many different ways of getting around the island and it all depends on your personal preference. Rental cars or bus services are probably the most common options. If you have some spare on your trip, make sure you don't miss out on the Rock of Cashel

Please let us know how you get on with your research and if you are able to find any direct descendants. 
Sarah