Where is car necessary?

Where is car necessary?

Author
Posted Sun 8 May 2022 6:52 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 8 May 2022 5:04 PM Visits: 6
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Ireland (it's my very big dream), but I'm about to surrender for the car hire price.
I want to visit the natural part of Ireland (I've visited Dublin and Galway years ago) and I'd like to have some time if trekking too... I thinking about moving by public transport and take the car just for 3/4 days: where is car necessary?
What nature/landscapes can I reach easily by bus/train and where should I really have a car?
For example, the day I'll spend in Arann island I won't be moving by car so I could save some money.....
What places do you suggest me to visit?
Thank you!! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 May 2022 9:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 hours ago Visits: 76K
Hello Elisabetta!

It's great that you are planning a trip to discover the natural sites of the island! 

Public transport is usually suitable to reach most sites, especially when there is a visitor centre. I would suggest using the Transport for Island website to plan your itinerary and know which places are easily reachable and which aren't. Here is also more information about public transport in Ireland

Since you'll be visiting Co. Galway, I can definitely recommend you the Cliffs of Moher  and the Loop Head Peninsula (Co. Clare) or Connemara National Park and Kylemore Abbey in Connemara. All these places are reachable using public transport from Galway City for instance. 

I hope this helps! Please let us know about your itinerary so we can help you find out whether a rental car is necessary or not. 😊

Cheers,
Antoine