Car rental in Ireland

Car rental in Ireland

Author
Posted Wed 11 May 2022 3:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Italy
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 11 May 2022 3:19 PM Visits: 3
Hi,

I am planning to go to Ireland and I would like to rent a car.
It seems very expensive, almost twice compared to my previous experience in US.
Moreover in the last month I noticed a further increase of costs.

Any suggestion?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards
Andrea Adriani
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 May 2022 10:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)Community Expert (4.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 20
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 11:57 AM Visits: 11.2K
Hello Andrea!

Welcome to our Community!  😊 

I am very sorry to hear that you're having troubles finding a car rental at a good price.

This seems to be a problem in most destinations, as car hire companies begin to update their fleets after the devastation caused by the pandemic over the past two years and also deal with other inflationary issues affecting their costs.

If you need help finding a car rental company, please take a look at this page of our site, with lots of useful information. At the end of the page, you'll find the link to the Car Rental Council website, with a list of car rental companies that you can contact directly for a price comparison.

Also, here you will find a lot of useful information about driving in Ireland. 🚗

I hope this helps!

Ricorda che puoi scriverci anche in italiano, se ti fa piacere!

Buona giornata!

Valentina
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 May 2022 7:39 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 24 May 2022 11:57 AM Visits: 7
I'm having similar problems. This is an e-mail I've just sent to Irish Car Rentals.

"We last rented a car with yourselves in August 2019 pre Covid. The cost was €79.31 for a Ford Focus or similar for 25 Aug 10:00 till 31 Aug 9:00.
To rent a car (lower grade) for the same period this August I'm being quoted €1,342.56.
To get the same grade would be €1,617.42.That is 1692% and 2039% increase respectively.
Can you explain this please? Your e-mail states you have "a huge fleet of modern cars to choose from" so surely it can't be down to a vehicle shortage?"
We all accept costs have gone up but these figures are ridiculous.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 May 2022 7:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (967 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Canada
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 18 Feb 2023 5:47 AM Visits: 2.6K
You've been quoted €1,617.42 for 6 days rental?!

I have no words...

I'm glad our car has been reserved way ahead for our trip in 2 weeks. We paid €282.98 for a lower grade than yours (Ford Ka or similar) for 9 days.

Inflation as you wish, this is insane and something is very wrong. Who in his right mind would pay that? Are you sure this is not an error? Did the rental cie answered already?
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 May 2022 11:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 31 Mar 2023 4:16 PM Visits: 15
i agree with mark i am in the same situation as him, my annual trip to ireland is at risk.