Car Rental

Car Rental

Author
Posted Mon 6 Jun 2022 9:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Jul 2022 7:22 PM Visits: 3
Hello. My partner and I had nearly finished booking our holiday in Ireland when we saw the price of car rental: around €2,500 for two weeks! I've never seen anything like it and we will not be able to come if this is the case. Can someone explain what is going on? Thanks, Penelope

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jun 2022 11:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Penelope,

We are very sorry to hear about your issue with car rental costs for your holiday in Ireland.

This appears to be a problem in most destinations, as car hire companies begin to update their fleets after the devastation caused by the pandemic over the past two years and also deal with other inflationary issues affecting their costs. While resolving this issue is beyond our control, we would recommend you bring your complaint to the attention of the Car Rental Council of Ireland and ask that they respond directly to you.

What's your itinerary plan so far?
Happy to help look at other transport options with you if you want.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jun 2022 8:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Jul 2022 7:22 PM Visits: 3
Thanks very much. I will contact them.
We were planning to start in Dublin, go to the Fermanagh region then around Donegal. Unfortunately, we've already booked some accomodation that means we would need a car. It seems probable that we will have to cancel the whole trip.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jun 2022 9:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hey Penelope,

As you will travel to Northern Ireland, have you maybe looked at renting from Northern Ireland instead of Dublin?
There might be more options there, and you could easily take the bus from Dublin to Belfast directly from the airport.
It does add time to your journey, but it might be an option worth checking.

Some accommodations may also offer free cancelation or be flexible with the dates of your stay if you decide to do part of your journey via public transport. I use Rome2Rio.com when planning trips around the island as it lists the national and private services in one place.

What part of Donegal are you planning to visit? I spent last weekend there, one of my favorite places on the island! 💚