Touring Ireland with an Electric Car

Touring Ireland with an Electric Car

Author
Posted Wed 8 Jun 2022 8:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2024 11:23 AM Visits: 10.1K
Hey Everyone!

As electric cars are becoming more popular, it's time to debunk some myths about touring Ireland with a plug-in car.
  • 🔌There is no charging station along the Wild Atlantic Way 
FALSE - in recent years, the number of charging stations has increased all over the island. It's always best to plan your itinerary beforehand, ensuring you know the best location for you to charge your vehicle.

• 🗺️ There is plenty of resources to help you plan your itinerary
TRUE - Plenty of sites and apps offer maps listing all stations. They often have plenty of filters allowing you to search by plug type, providers... 

Here is a couple you can check:
Plugshare
OpenChargeMap
ZapMap
  • 🏁 I can rent an electric car in Ireland
TRUE - EV vehicles are an option with many car hire providers. You can easily find them by searching "EV vehicles hire in Ireland"

Our "driving in Ireland" guide has plenty of tips to help further you plan your trip. Have a look!

Happy driving! ☘️

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 May 2024 12:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Jul 2024 10:38 AM Visits: 13.4K
As things improve and change regarding the use of electric vehicles by visitors, residents, and rental car companies, you may wish to take a look at a couple of our articles on trips on the island of Ireland by electric car. 🚗

Ireland's Ancient East from Dublin in electric car

Wild Atlantic Way by electric car

Many of the B&B's and Hotels have charging points and are starting to add this as a feature in their facilities descriptions, again something to look our for when choosing your accommodation.

Have you an experience of touring the island of Ireland with an electric car or plans to do so?
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 23 Jun 2024 10:00 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 23 Jun 2024 9:58 PM Visits: 1
Two days ago I returned from a 14-day trip from Switzerland via France and a ferry to Ireland. I spent 10 days in Ireland and drove around 1,800 km electrically on my own in Ireland.

I recommend ESB as a provider if you are traveling in the south.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Jun 2024 3:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)Community Expert (2.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Jul 2024 5:11 PM Visits: 28.1K
Hi Roland,

It's so good to hear about your successful trip! Have you planned your itinerary beforehand based on charging points, or was it easy for you to find them spontaneously? How often did you charge your car and what advantages have you perhaps found in travelling with an electric vehicle? We would love to hear more about your experiences and recommendations - I'm sure our Community would really appreciate your first-hand insights! 🚗🔌

All the best
Rebecca