Transportation passes

Transportation passes

Author
Posted Wed 15 Jun 2022 4:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 25 Jun 2022 8:11 PM Visits: 285
Hi everybody,
My name is Gabriela and I am from Argentina. I will be doing a tour of Ireland from August 10to September 7 (28 days). I don't drive cars. My idea is to manage with busesand trains. The inquiry is about available bus and rail passes. I am going to tell you about the itinerary of my trip so that you can advise me, if you are so kind, what pass should I buy and if it is possible to do it online. I am going to arrive through Dublin airport, immediately I am going to transfer to Drogheda where I will be 7 nights. From there I would like to visit Newgrange,Tara Hill, Trim Castle, Loughcrew cemetery, Monasterboice, Callingford. I will then move to Clifden (4 nights) visiting the Connemara area. From there I will go to Galway for two nights and try to visit Clonmacnoise. I will then go to Inishmore (2 nights). Then Doolin for 3 nights to visit The Burren area, Cliff of Mother and Dungaire Castle. From there I will go directly to Dingle, where I will be visiting the peninsula for 3 days. To then move to Killarney for 5 nights, from where I will try to visit the Rings of Kerry and Beara. The last night I will sleep near Cork airport to depart from there. According to what I was reading, it would be convenient for me to acquire the Leap Card to get around the cities of Galway, Dublin and I don't know if Drogheda. I read about a pass called the Open Road but can't find updated information or where to buy it if it suits me. I prefer to do the visits on my own, not hire tours, but I don'tknow if there is availability of public transport to do them. From what I saw most of the transfers would be on Bus Eirean and Expressway buses and some transfers on trains. Is there a subscription or pass that facilitates the transfers and lowers the costs? Any advice you can give me about transfers and access to tourist places will be welcome. Or maybe some place that I shouldn't miss on my trip. Or maybe some place that I shouldn't miss on my trip. Or maybe some place that I shouldn't miss on my trip. Or maybe some place that I shouldn't miss on my trip.maybe any place I shouldn´t miss on my  trip.
Thank you.
Gabriela
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Jun 2022 2:17 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (774 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 12
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 29 Sep 2022 6:05 PM Visits: 1.4K
Hi Gabriela,

It's great to hear you are visiting Ireland soon! 

Your trip sounds amazing, I love to see you have your whole itinerary planned. To visit all these places without a car you will definitely need to use both trains and buses (and sometimes taxis depending on the time of the day), as some places, such as Hill of Tara, Newgrange and Carlingford (among others) and not very accessible by train. The Leap Card is definitely your best choice when traveling around Ireland, as you will be able to save some money and there are no passes available for Bus Éireann (such as the Open Road pass you mention). You can plan your trips using the Transport for Ireland website, the Bus Éireann site and the Irish Rail website. 

Regarding places to visit on the island, have you checked our trip ideas website? https://bit.ly/3b5fBN3 Perhaps you could find some more places to visit from here. For example, I don't see you are going to Cobh and you might like it, it is the village where the Titanic stopped for the last time before leaving Ireland!

I hope this is useful and hope you have a great trip, 

David.