Travelling with Teens

Travelling with Teens

Author
Posted Wed 15 Jun 2022 9:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
As the mum of a teen, I know from experience that entertaining teenagers can be… a challenge. Teenagedom is a time of expression and contradictions, and young people may feel out of place in areas designated for either kids or adults. So, how do we plan for a trip for all to enjoy?

My first tip is to give your teens a voice in where they want to explore. Giving control of the wheel, so to speak, means that they can find what interests them most. Whether that’s a beach, a haunted castle, history, or more. From modern metropolises to quaint and quiet country retreats, Ireland truly has something for everyone.

To get started, here are a few ideas that worked with my teen!

For summer trips, a visit to the beach is always a winning idea for young people. Sun and surf have a lot to offer even beach newbies, and they can make memories either on the sand or in the water. Luckily, Ireland has some amazing beaches to choose from! Keem beach is a personal favourite, offering both a beautiful beach landscape and plenty of fun options in the area, like fishing and kayaking. 

If your teen is more adventurous, locations like Lurgaboy Adventure Centre offer a range of activities that can be enjoyed by older children to young adults. This includes archery, zip wiring, rock climbing, and more - all in a safe and controlled environment. 

For book and fantasy lovers, like myself and my teen, seeing where their favourite scenes came to life might be life-changing. Whether that’s for readers of a Song of Ice and Fire, also known as Game of Thrones, which shot many scenes in Northern Ireland. Other famous cinema locations include the Cliffs of Moher’s appearance in Harry Potter, P.S. I Love You’s setting in County Wicklow, and more.

Speaking of romance, the love-struck teen in your life may want to tour famous romantic locations. Kylemore Abbey’s famous lovestory is an interesting and beautiful spot to learn about history and one of Ireland’s famous tales of love and devotion.

Souvenirs are another wonderful way to mark a visit. From Claddagh Rings, to tin whistles for musicians, to colorful jumpers to be worn for years to come. By investing in memories, teens can continue to enjoy their time here for years more. 

Of course, there are plenty more spots for teens to enjoy! And remember to add your suggestions too!