Getting Car Insurance for a Car That I Buy in Ireland

Getting Car Insurance for a Car That I Buy in Ireland

Author
Posted Wed 22 Jun 2022 2:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 22 Jun 2022 7:05 PM Visits: 3
I am going to be in Ireland for 3 months—August-October.  I am going to buy a used car from a dealership where my local family knows the owner and then after three months sell it back to them.  They will make a profit of course, but I will pay far less that leasing a car for three months from a rental company.

My question is how do I get “collision” insurance on the vehicle?

I have liability insurance on my general policy in the US that will cover me in Ireland but collision has to be purchased locally.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 22 Jun 2022 4:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi there, Bill,

It's great to hear that you are visiting the island very soon! ☘️ 

It might be best to speak with the car dealership who may have information on the collision insurance or to contact the U.S Embassy in Ireland, who work to serve and protect U.S citizens in Ireland.

I would also recommend reaching out to some local brokers in the area from where you are purchasing the car. You can find a whole list of brokers over on the Brokers Ireland website!

Where in Ireland do you plan on visiting? Have you got an itinerary planned yet? If not, we would love to help out with some suggestions. 😊 

I hope these links help with your request but please do get back in touch, should you need anything else.

Best,
Aimee