What cool tv shows and films have been shot recently in Ireland?

What cool tv shows and films have been shot recently in Ireland?

Author
Posted Thu 30 Jun 2022 8:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
With its unique beauty and picture-perfect landscapes, the island of Ireland is a predictably popular location for film and TV productions. Most people are familiar with the classics, including The Princess Bride, Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart. But what about more recent works?

The Dungeons and Dragons movie, set to be released in 2023, was filmed in Belfast. Carrickfergus Castle, Clandeboye Estate, and Castle Ward have all been used as filming sites for the picture. The movie’s high-profile actors, such as Chris Pine and Hugh Grant, have generated a massive buzz around it, and the swashbuckling epic is one of the most highly anticipated films of 2023.

Disney also frequents the island for their productions, two of the most recent being Artemis Fowl (2020) and Disenchanted (2023). Artemis Fowl, based on the book series by Eoin Colfer, was filmed in multiple coastal locations in County Antrim including Whiterocks Beach, Portrush, and Dunluce Castle.

Disenchanted, a spinoff of the 2007 hit movie Enchanted, spent four months filming in Dublin, County Louth, and County Wicklow last summer. The village of Enniskerry was turned into a fairytale wonderland, featuring a pink house decorated top to bottom with flowers. Considering the success of its predecessor, there’s no doubt that this movie will grab the attention of viewers everywhere.

Derry Girls, a popular teen sitcom set in the 1990s, has also called Northern Ireland home for the past four years. Filming for the series took place throughout Belfast and Derry~Londonderry with many significant locations scattered throughout the cities. St Mary’s University and Hunterhouse College make up the fictional Our Lady Immaculate College. Limewood Street is the site of one of the show’s most iconic scenes in which the girls walk to school, and fans flock to the area to recreate the shot.

What other films and TV shows have been filmed in Ireland?

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Oct 2022 1:57 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)I'm into this (213 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 20 Sep 2023 1:59 PM Visits: 63
There's a German movie "Sprachlos in Irland", that's been filmed 2020/2021 in Co. Clare (e. g. Kilkee, Carragaholt)
https://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/film/freitag-im-ersten/sendung/sprachlos-in-irland-100.html

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Oct 2022 6:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 17 Apr 2023 9:34 PM Visits: 15
I love "Derry Girls"...will definitely check out Derry when I am in Ireland in spring 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Mar 2023 3:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)Community Expert (69 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 9 Mar 2024 4:14 PM Visits: 1.4K
The picturesque landscapes and historic architecture of Ireland have made it an attractive location for filming and TV productions in recent years.  

The Northman (2022), a highly anticipated film, directed by Robert Eggers, was partly filmed in Torr Head, with additional scenes filmed at Malin Head and The Gleniff Horseshoe. It stars Alexander Skarsgård, Nicole Kidman, and Willem Dafoe, and tells the story of a Viking prince seeking revenge for his father's death. 

Vikings (2013-2020), a popular historical drama was filmed in Ireland for its entire six-season run. It tells the story of Ragnar Lothbrok and his sons and their adventures in the Viking Age. The historic Powerscourt Estate and Luggala provided the backdrop for scenes set in England and other parts of Europe.

Another movie, "Wild Mountain Thyme" (2020), directed by John Patrick Shanley and starring Emily Blunt and Jamie Dornan, was filmed on location in Ireland. The movie is set in rural Ireland, and the filmmakers used a variety of locations to capture the country's natural beauty and rural charm. Much of the film was shot in County Mayo in the west of Ireland, including the village of Cong, which was used as the main filming location for the film. The village's charming streets, traditional cottages, and beautiful countryside provided the perfect backdrop for the story. Some of the scenes were filmed in County Wicklow, which is known as the "Garden of Ireland." The area's rolling hills, dense forests, and tranquil lakes provided a scenic backdrop for the film.

These are just a few examples of the many filming locations used in Ireland. These films captures the country's rural charm and stunning landscapes, making it a must-see for anyone looking for a taste of Ireland's natural beauty.