Accommodation for two senior Canadian women..separate rooms ..plus suggested itinerary that includes...

Accommodation for two senior Canadian women..separate rooms ..plus...

Author
Posted Mon 11 Jul 2022 5:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 11 Jul 2022 5:10 PM Visits: 243
Hello:

We are two Canadian women...senior, but not old!  We are meeting in Dublin, Sept. 7th...coming in from different
countries to enjoy some time in Ireland.   My friend has a connection through her Mother's family in Galway, and we wish to spend time there, to see where her Mother's family was from.   My friend was born in Canada, but her Mother passed away when she was just a tiny baby..never knew her Mother.     We want to be in Galway to research where possibly her Mother's family were from and to explore other areas...our time in Ireland..Sept.7-19 (12 days)....my friend leaves Sept. 19th back to Canada and I am not sure as yet, if I will stay longer.....We are on pensions and therefore need accommodation that we can afford...I am blown away by the hotel prices in Ireland...how do you people live?   Any info that would help us to create an itinerary would be so much appreciated!    Perhaps Airbnb or something that is more affordable.    Are tours by bus good...or by train?  Thankyou so much....we look forward to being in your beautiful country!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Jul 2022 9:57 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Eunice,

Thanks for taking the time to post your message!

It is wonderful to hear that you will be meeting up with your friend to find some more information on her mother's home area, Galway is a lovely part of the island of Ireland to be from and visit.

There is plenty to see and do in County Galway and beyond, as part of the Wild Atlantic Way, there are so many beautiful places to visit for day trips as well. It is possible to get around by public transport with buses for the more local trips and the train for further afield.

For accommodation, there is a where do you want to stay section on our website. Just scroll down the page and using the filters narrow down your search. I have pre-selected County Galway and B&B to get you started but please feel free to change it up a little too. These are all tourist board-approved places that we can recommend, AirBnB are not necessarily approved in the same way but are an alternative.

As far as searching for information on your friend's ancestors, we have some information on genealogy that may be of interest. Depending on how far back you can trace online determines what you can visit while here as civil registration was introduced in Ireland in 1864 when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions, and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), through the Irish Genealogy website, to this day. 

Hopefully, this will help you start your itinerary, feel free to come back to us, and maybe some fellow members can add suggestions too.

Martin