Planning my trip

Planning my trip

Author
Posted Fri 22 Jul 2022 2:32 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Jul 2022 2:32 AM Visits: 97
Hi, I’m planning a trip to you country in the next two years. I was wondering if there is a tour available for The Troubles. I would like to learn more about it from the people who lived through it. Thank You, Sue
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Jul 2022 9:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)Community Expert (206 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:04 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Sue, 

Thanks for reaching out, and showing your interest in visiting the Emerald Isle. 

There are many historical tours and museums available related to The Troubles in both Derry and Belfast. If you check out our page on Derry, if you scroll down to the interactive map with 'Derry - Londonderry highlights' you will find Martin McCrossan City Tours, Museum of Free Derry, Tower Museum, and The Siege Museum. I would also personally recommend Bogside History Tours, and the Museum of Free Derry (many of the tour guides lived through it or lost someone that day and tell their story). 

For Belfast, you will find the Ulster Museum, Touring around Belfast (which provides great tours of the Murals and Peace Walls), and Crumlin Road Gaol. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to help. 

Cathaoir

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 27 Jul 2022 3:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hello Sue, 

Delighted to hear that you are planning a visit to Ireland in the near future! 

As Cathaoir mentioned above, there are plenty of options for guided tours both in Derry and Belfast that relate to the troubles! 

Within Derry~Londonderry, there are a number of tours available all of which would touch on the Troubles, whilst covering the entire history of the city; however the Bogside History Tour focuses specifically on the Troubles in the city, with particular reference to Bloody Sunday and so may be of more interest to you. 

We also have a number of museums in the city that may be of interest.

The Tower Museum would be the main museum for the city and would cover the whole history from St Columba right through to the  present day, with a 2nd exhibition on the Spanish Armada Shipwreck: La Trinidad Valencera that was discovered by local divers off the coast of Donegal. 

The Siege Museum tells the story of the 1688/1689 Siege of Londonderry and the development of the Apprentice Boys Association. 

The Museum of Free Derry may be of particular interest however; it is run by the families of the victims of Bloody Sunday and tells the story of the Civil Rights movement within the city, the lead up to Bloody Sunday, the day itself as well as the stories of the subsequent enquiries. 

I hope this helps you to plan your visit! 

Kind Regards 

The Visit Derry Team