Wild Atlantic Way

Wild Atlantic Way

Author
Posted Thu 28 Jul 2022 10:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 2 Aug 2022 10:26 PM Visits: 13
Are the last 2 weeks of September a good time to drive the Wild  Atlantic Way starting from Kinsale and going as far as reasonably possible, expecting not to get to the end.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 28 Jul 2022 2:43 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:33 PM Visits: 660
Hi Michael,

It's good to hear that you are planning a trip along the Wild Atlantic Way. I would say that the last two weeks of September are a great time, given that the weather should still be very mild. 

Starting in Kinsale is a great plan. There is a very good trip idea available here that you could follow (it starts in West Cork and ends in Kinsale, but you could do it in reverse).

From there, you can make your way north along the Wild Atlantic Way, going at your own pace.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Jul 2022 8:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Thank you for the information. Most helpful.
Further to this, once my wife and I move off from Kinsale to start the drive of the Wild Atlantic Way, we have no real plan, taking each day as it comes and stopping/pausing as our interest and intrigue is wetted. Therefore, the distance we travel each day will vary greatly from anything, to say 25 km, to much more. So we are not planning any accommodation booking in advance as this will be too restrictive to our progress, and we hope we can find ad hoc overnight stays each day, to suit (e,g, B & B's, farmhouses, Hotels, whatever). How easy (plentiful ?) is it to find such accommodation on our journey, to just stop and stay, then move on. Are there any books/guides as such, to help
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Aug 2022 3:05 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Michael! 

Thank you for staying in touch about this upcoming trip! It's so exciting to be a part of the planning process.

I certainly understand the desire to keep your trip flexible. There is certainly a charm to being able to settle down wherever the road takes you. Still, I would suggest planning accommodations in advance, as that ensures you and your wife will have the chance to find your perfect home away from home while on the road. It also ensures that there is no stress in trying to find accommodations in the moment, meaning more time can be invested in just enjoying your time here.

What I would suggest is taking a peek at our Accommodations Finder. It's a wonderful tool for finding places to settle here in Ireland, and you can sort by location and accommodation type. Even if you don't plan to book ahead, reaching out to potential B&B's to ask about their last-minute availability might help with planning this visit. 

I do hope this helps!

Warmly,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Aug 2022 10:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Rochelle
Thank you for the useful and helpful advice. Booking ahead or in advance would seem a safe and secure way to proceed, rather than go for the pot luck flexibility of hope that one finds accommodation per day that is not all booked out or difficult to find.
However. Due to the narrowness of the Wild Atlantic Way route, the diversity of sights, views, locations and so on, (some of which might appeal and some not), what should you consider as a sensible average mileage to do per day, considering stoppages, etc., in order to sensibly book ahead.  One doesn’t want to book ahead and the distance travelled could mean you arrive much too early at your respective accommodation, or arrive too late because you have spent much more time soaking up the journey than expected. Difficult choices !!
Regards
Mike
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Aug 2022 1:46 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:33 PM Visits: 660
Hi Michael,

Your question about the best average mileage per day on this trip is a good one. I would say that the answer depends on how much of the Wild Atlantic Way you wish to explore and the number of places that you wish to visit. The best way to determine a good average mileage would be to prepare in advance a list of places/sights you would like to visit.

The Ireland.com website is a fountain of useful information when planning trips. I would recommend that you check out this 12-day all around Ireland trip idea, as it includes a number of stops along the Wild Atlantic Way. We may be able to use this trip idea when planning your own journey along the Wild Atlantic Way.

Regards,
Eoin