Gaelic Translation Needed!

Gaelic Translation Needed!

Author
Posted Wed 17 Aug 2022 5:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 7:53 PM Visits: 23
Hello everyone!

I was recommended to sign-up and interact with the community here from the Ireland Tourism page on Instagram.

I am looking for someone to help me translate a saying into Gaelic for a tattoo (for obvious reasons, it has to be the "right" translation). Last I visited Ireland, I got a Gaelic tattoo, and I absolutely love it. If someone could help me translate the following saying, I would greatly appreciate it:

Still I Rise

And, if you would like to connect on Instagram, my handle is @mindcurves33. Just sent me a message to let me know how you found me/who you are! Thank you so much! 

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Aug 2022 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Alanna,

Thanks for joining us here from Instagram!

We have removed one of your messages to make it easier to read.

It is very important to get the correct or closest translation as not everything translates exactly from English to Irish. Sometimes a sentence takes on a whole different meaning when the words are translated and you may find that something similar meets the bill.

Is there a context to the words Still I Rise that you are looking for? 

Hopefully, some of our members will be able to help you.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Aug 2022 2:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:24 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Alaan,
I have been talking to a number of colleagues of mine and a literal translation would possibly be "ach fós, éirim" - however, this does not really capture the meaning of Maya Angelou's poem (we are assuming, this is where you got the quote from?). The poem's central idea is that 'I won't be kept down'. So this would be translated as 'Ní choimeadfar síos mé'
I hope this helps and I will be in touch, if I hear of any other possible translations.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Aug 2022 5:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Hi Christoph. 

Thank you so much for your detailed response! Yes, the quote is from Maya Angelou's poem. I figured as much, that when using different languages not everything "adds up." When I was in Ireland a few years ago, I ended up getting a tattoo of something that I kept seeing on my trip, and that my guide called me a couple of times. The Gaelic-to-English translation made sense, as opposed to what you've helped me realize with "still I rise." 

Thank you very much for translating this for me. I want to get another Gaelic tattoo, so I am sure you can appreciate the importance of "getting it right." 

All the best. 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 19 Aug 2022 8:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Alanna,

Thanks to Christoph and his colleagues for the swift reply and translation.

Getting it right is so important as you say! There is nothing worse, especially in a tattoo, than making a mistake and it means something else apart from what you wish for.

Hopefully, you will be able to find something that fits in with your needs. Please feel free to come back on here as well as to the island of Ireland itself, we would love to see you again. ☘️
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 21 Aug 2022 8:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hi Christoph. 

Any chance you can tell me what this means in English -- 

Ach fós fhéin, éirím

Thank you!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Aug 2022 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:24 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Alanna,
I have received the following reply to your query - 

“Fos éirím” is literally “still I rise”
“Ach fós, éirím” is literally “but still I rise” or “yet still I rise” - the significance of the ‘but/yet’ being that it connotes the idea of overcoming adversity
“Ach fós féin,éirím” is also literally “but still I rise” – the significance of the ‘féin’ (no H) is simply to add more emphasis to the 'but still'

I hope this helps.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Aug 2022 11:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thanks Christoph! Lots to think about.  
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 6 Jul 2023 3:52 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Christoph - 

I just wanted to reach back out and say 'thank you' to you (and your friends) for help in translating this for me. In September 2022, I ended up attending a Tattoo & Music Festival and getting "Ní choimeadfar síos mé" tattooed in beautiful cursive on my forearm. I absolutely love my Irish heritage and would love to learn how to speak/have conservation in Gaelic. It's such a beautiful language - and Ireland is a wonderful place, that truly feels like home for me. 

This meaning - "I won't be kept down," ended up resonating with me a little bit more. I have survived 13 traumas, many of which were life-and-death situations. I have had first responders and doctors tell me that I shouldn't be alive. I absolutely have my obstacles and flaws, but truly feel that I won't be kept down - no one and not one thing can keep me down. I am grateful, thankful, and blessed. 

Thank you so much again for your help. 

All the best, 

Alanna
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 6 Jul 2023 8:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:38 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Alana, 

I am elated to hear you got your tattoo, derived from Maya Angelou's poem. I am sure it looks fab, and clearly has deep personal meaning to you! 

All the best, 
Cathaoir