Anything I need to know about going back as a Canadian tourist?

Anything I need to know about going back as a Canadian tourist?

Author
Posted Sun 28 Aug 2022 5:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 8 Feb 2023 12:38 AM Visits: 21
I am planning on visiting Galway next year (was going to be this year but the wife got diagnosed with breast cancer).

I am a Canadian citizen, the reason I want to visit Galway is that I was actually born there.  I left in 1970 (at the age of 3) and have never been back to Ireland so I would like to see the place (although I have been reliably informed it has changed a lot since I left).

Are there any "complications" I need to consider when visiting Ireland?  I have a Canadian passport, my chief concern is that if I was asked for ID other than my passport they all show that I am from Galway eg. birth certificate.  I don't plan on getting into trouble, but I have been told Galway is quite the party town these days :) so I would like to be sure.

Thanks in advance!

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 28 Aug 2022 10:01 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
Hey Robert,

I'm so sorry to hear about your wife and hope that she will be ok. 😕 

Hopefully you'll both get to see the city you were born. How did you envision your first time in Galway after so many years? Are there specific things you'd like to experience? Or maybe go on nearby day trips?

Not to worry: Canadian passport holders don't need any other documents or visas to visit the island of Ireland. We have a page about travel documents with more information if you'd like. 

Let me know if there's anything else you might need. 😊

Cheers,
Antoine