Travel from Westport to Galway

Travel from Westport to Galway

Author
Posted Sun 28 Aug 2022 7:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 29 Aug 2022 5:51 PM Visits: 8
Hi. Can I have some advise please on the best way to travel from Westport to Galway? Is Bus Eireann the best way to go? If so, do we need to buy bus tickets in advance?  We will be travelling on 11 Sept.  Thank you!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 29 Aug 2022 8:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Christine,

Bus Éireann is the best option for public transport from Galway to Westport. They have a direct service 456 and takes about an hour and a half to get there. 🚌

Buying tickets online is the best way to guarantee a place on the bus on the day and time you wish. You can just pay the driver on the day if there are seats available at the time if this suits you better.

Both Galway and Westport are lovely places to see and the route takes you through some wonderful areas too.

What have you planned for your time in Westport?
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 29 Aug 2022 2:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 29 Aug 2022 5:51 PM Visits: 8
Thank you! This is very helpful!

I don't know what we have planned in Westport - we will be there 2 nights. My boyfriend's family is from there and he still has relatives there so we wanted to make sure to visit. If you have suggestions, that would be appreciated too!  
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 29 Aug 2022 5:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:38 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Christine, 

We have a dedicated page all about Westport which you can find here. If you scroll down to the bottom you will also find an interactive map packed with activities that may be of interest. My parents took me to the Swan Boats in 2001 at Westport House, if they are still there, your boyfriend's family may take you too... it was a big deal in Westport back in the day... :laugh:

Let me know if you have any other questions and I would be glad to help. 

Cathaoir