Desperate to see a Hurling game. Need guidance and help

Desperate to see a Hurling game. Need guidance and help

Author
Posted Fri 18 Nov 2022 10:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 20 Nov 2022 10:00 AM Visits: 7
Australian traveller needs help.

Background- My husband (Michael) and I will be in Ireland from the 3/5/2023 until the 14/5/2023. We are from Australia and my husband and I would love to go to a Hurling game. I have looked at the GAA site and don’t know how to go about booking tickets.

We start our journey in Kilkenny (3 nights) then another 3 nights in Killarney, then off for 2 nights in Galway, last stop is Belfast before we head back to Dublin on the 14th May, then we fly out on the 16th May to go home. Sorry to bore you with all the detail, but I’m desperate to surprise Michael with some Hurling tickets while we are in your beautiful country.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Nov 2022 12:44 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:03 PM Visits: 661
Hi Judy,

It's great that you have plans to watch our native sport when you travel to Ireland next year. You have two main options when it comes to watching a hurling match in Ireland: club matches between parishes within each county and intercounty matches (county vs county).

The 2023 calendar has not been officially confirmed yet so it is difficult to say what matches will be played while you are in the country. I would recommend that you keep an eye on the GAA.ie website over the coming weeks and months. Information about tickets will also be provided there closer to the actual fixtures.

In May, it is expected that several intercounty competitions will be played in the different provinces. Therefore, you should have a good opportunity to watch matches during your time here.

In terms of club matches, there may not be any championship matches happening at that stage in the year. However, on your travels through Ireland, keep an eye out for GAA pitches as there are frequently challenge (friendly) matches taking place as teams prepare for the season.

I hope this information will be helpful to you.

Regards,
Eoin

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 19 Nov 2022 1:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Eoin. Thanks so much for replying to my message. I will most certainly take your advice and check the GAA website. Hope I get lucky and secure some tickets in our travels.

Judy

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 19 Nov 2022 11:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Judy,

You are very welcome! We will keep our fingers crossed for you and hope that you can surprise your husband with a grand time at a hurling game.

What else do you have planned for your visit this spring? If you have any more questions before your trip to our wee island, please let us know! We'll gladly share more tips and inspiration with you, so you can look forward to a trip full of unique Irish experiences. 

Kind regards, 

Vera
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 20 Nov 2022 5:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thanks for your offer Vera. I can and will send a more detailed itinerary a little later, where I will ask your opinion on what we have planned. However, one question comes to mind. I am a dog lover and would love to see a sheep dog demonstration somewhere in our travels. There are a few listed, but just not sure which one to go and see. Have you heard of any that are worth seeing. If not, no bother as I will continue to research where they are and what the reviews are like.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 20 Nov 2022 9:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Judy,

I'll be very happy to have a look at your schedule and make some suggestions. Your idea to visit a sheepdog demonstration is great - it's amazing to see these clever dogs, their trainers and their flock working hard together! As a bonus, you'll get to see Irish rural life up close and learn about some of our island's traditional products. 

On our website you can find some recommended places where you can see a sheepdog show, depending on where in your travel itinerary you would like to plan it in. 

In other 'Ireland Inspiration' threads here on the Community forum you can find many more trip ideas - for instance, these suggestions for hidden gems to be found across our wee island. 

I hope these suggestions can contribute to the planning stages of your trip, and that you can look forward to a journey full of beautiful and interesting moments.

Kind regards, 

Vera