Want to know about Eircode system in Ireland

Want to know about Eircode system in Ireland

Author
Posted Mon 21 Nov 2022 6:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 23 Nov 2022 4:46 AM Visits: 8
I am visiting Dublin in December so planning things and doing my bookings. I am a frequent traveler and Google Maps helps a lot during my abroad visits. But, one of my friends said that Ireland has any other system to regulate addresses that calls Eircode and it is the latest system that replaces traditional postcodes. I checked things but still facing confusion. is it easy to find locations on Google maps in Ireland or case is different? Kindly inform.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 22 Nov 2022 10:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Irfan,

It's great to hear that you are making plans to come over and see us!

Eircodes have been with us since July 2015 and each individual location/business has a unique code associated with it. In the past, Dublin was the only place where it was defined with D1, D2, etc, but now the whole of the Republic of Ireland has an Eircode.

So, if you are using Google maps and looking for a location in Dublin, for example, The Guinness Storehouse (D08 VF8H), enter the Eircode and it will drop the red pointer on the area. There is an EIRCODE Finder website too that you can use with either the address or the Eircode.

The same can be found using the name so either will find the location. For places outside of Dublin, the same applies, either use the name of the place or its Eircode. We regularly say to people now that we need to find, what's your Eircode instead of what's your address! :)

Hopefully, this will help. What have you planned to see and do in Dublin?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 22 Nov 2022 3:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 23 Nov 2022 4:46 AM Visits: 8
Martin, Thanks for your reply.
yes, I have read a few articles and now I can understand Eircodes better. I am a history student and a big fan of Dublin Museums. It is a big curiosity for me to visit all the famous museums in Dublin especially the National Museum of Ireland.
I am facing an issue,  I checked a few addresses in your mentioned tool, but it is not able to find Eircode when I tried another similar tool https://eircodefinder.com/ which provides Eircodes of the addresses I provided. Is this OK?
I have one more question that you can answer, In December is it the regular season in Dublin, or do you people see the rush of visitors in this month?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 22 Nov 2022 8:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 3 hours ago Visits: 4.8K
Hello Irfan,

It's great to hear of your interest in history and in visiting some of the city's museums. As you mentioned, the National Museum of Ireland is a great place to explore. If you want to learn more about the story of Dublin itself, The Little Museum of Dublin is a lovely spot. And you'll find here some further suggestions of Dublin museums and galleries not to be missed.

Your Eirecode finder looks to be working, but don't hesitate to directly use the search feature on Google Maps, or to ask friends, your accommodation providers or locals for more details if ever you're in doubt! Onsite tourist information centers are also useful places as they can provide you with explanations, brochures and maps.

Dublin can indeed be a popular destination in December, so we recommend booking your accommodation in advance if you haven't done so already and purchasing entrance tickets online when possible.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with,

Alex