Best base cities

Best base cities

Author
Posted Mon 5 Dec 2022 3:51 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:02 PM Visits: 2.7K
We are going to Ireland in mid May and will be there for 13 days/nights. I am flying in and out of Dublin. I really would like to know what 4-5 towns would be the best for base and then do day trips from there. I really don't want to do a bunch of 1 night stays if possible. I plan on trying to do the entire outer ring within that time. Also, is clockwise or counter clockwise better? Thanks in advance
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Dec 2022 10:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)Community Expert (193 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2024 4:38 PM Visits: 3K
Hi Anthony,

It's great that you are planning your trip to Ireland around a few bases, it will certainly be more enjoyable and relaxing to travel that way.

In addition to Dublin (which also has coastal villages nearby and day trip options), I would suggest picking bases away from each other in both Ireland's Ancient East and the Wild Atlantic Way, KilkennyCork, KillarneyLimerick, and Galway would be good choices, as they are far enough from each other and offer many day trip options.

These cities are also quite enjoyable to visit as well. Our trip ideas page might also inspire you to plan day trips out of your chosen bases, such as the Ring of Kerry, this West Cork trip idea, or day trips out of Galway and Connemara.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions.

Cathaoir 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 11 Feb 2023 12:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)Industry Member (20 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 14 Feb 2023 8:50 PM Visits: 24
If you are coming to Belfast there is lots to see. We are UNESCO city of music with lots of street art, theatre, museums and culture. There are plenty of history and political tours of course. You also have the maritime mile where you have the iconic Titanic attraction which is opening up again after being restored in March. A new whiskey Titanic distillery will be opening nearby.  Markets, food tours and restaurants give an opportunity to try our famous food and drinks

Stay with us at The Harrison to experience a Victorian merchants house built in 1879 and learn about the famous people of Belfast

www.chambersofdistinction.com
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Mar 2023 4:31 PM Visits: 6
Dublin, Cork and Galway. But the best is Dublin.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:37 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 14 Mar 2023 1:48 PM Visits: 4
Dublin - the most interesting city in Ireland. It classic place for travelling.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Apr 2023 9:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)Gaining Respect (178 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 17 Apr 2023 9:34 PM Visits: 15
We are also planning our trip, and we are doing both Northern Ireland and Ireland. 
This is our itinerary as far as cities we are staying in or nearby 
Dublin - three nights
Belfast - three nights
Derry - two nights 
Galway - two nights
Killarney - three nights
Waterford - one night
Dublin - last night
Looking forward to our trip! Wishing you all the best and a wonderful time. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Apr 2023 7:50 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
That's a really well-thought itinerary, Daniela!

Basing yourself in a city for 2-3 nights at a time ensures that you won't have to pack your bags every day and you get to enjoy your base city for a few days between your day trips. 

Are you particularly looking forward to specific activities or day trips along your trip? 

Cheers!