First time in Ireland: 7 days by train

First time in Ireland: 7 days by train

Author
Posted Tue 6 Dec 2022 12:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 9 Dec 2022 8:46 PM Visits: 26
SOS: I don't have much time to plan my first trip to Ireland. I am arriving with my mum the 12th of December and we will travel by train during just 7 days!. All I see in this page is stunning so it's hard to choose what places to visit! My mum can't walk very long distances but I guess that we will enjoy the landscape from the train windows, or ferries and then go for a short walk once we arrive to the towns to spend the night.

I would really appreciate it if you could recommend the top places that you wouldn't miss. I guess the west coast, (I wonder if it would it be too much to pick up a place to visit in the north as well then connect with the west from there) then the south and Dublin from where we fly out and were we don't want to spend more than the last two days (Saturday and Sunday).   

Looking forward to receive your valuable tips 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Dec 2022 10:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)Community Expert (196 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 3K
Hi Sara,

Thanks for reaching out. 

We have plenty of resources that are worth checking out, such as Ireland by Train, Five Magical Railway Journeys, our community post on Public Transport Passes, and our accessibility which can be beneficial for your mum. 

Do you have any accommodation booked as of now? You could certainly include a day in the north, but it is important not to try and cram too much into 7 days, as it may negate your experience. Our Trip Ideas section may help you choose which parts you want to see whilst here, and I would also recommend using Rome2Rio as a journey planner.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and I would be glad to help. 

Cathaoir

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Dec 2022 11:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Thanks a million Cathaoir! I will check all the links you have sent. I am sure it will be more than enough info to organize as it looks very thorough!!!!!!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Dec 2022 9:05 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 6 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
We are so glad this is helpful, Sara!

Please get back to us once you have drafted your train itinerary if you need any feedback or additional tips. 😊

If you are looking into visiting Ireland's unmissable places, you might want to have a look at this page about the most photographed spots on the island.

Cheers,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Dec 2022 3:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Can I Ask you, is the weather going to be THAT bad fro next week 12th to 19th???? I looked at the forecast and I am about to cancel the trip!! I was trying to plan my itinerary considering everyday's weather bit I have realized I don't have too much choices...I had decided to go the Galway area, Clare, then stopping somewhere the south and then Dublin all by train. Then I was thinking whether to go clockwise or counterclockwise :) but after looking at all that rain I don't know what to do really or if I should postpone....
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Dec 2022 9:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Sara,

As you can appreciate this is our winter so the temperatures will be lower than during our summer.

It is very rare that rain affects our transport for long, if at all, as we are used to a bit of rain! 🌦️

As long as you have a suitable coat and put a few layers on, we are sure you will enjoy the Irish weather

Irish Rail runs the train services in the Republic of Ireland. Most trains run from Dublin to places such as Galway, Limerick, and Cork directly. It would be necessary to return to Dublin to get from one place to another but there are local bus services and day trip providers that could help out with your time on the west coast. Transport for Ireland also has a journey planner and links to Local Link for services information.

Lally Tours and Galway Tour Company in Galway may be able to help with some tour information while in the city so you and your mom can visit some places while staying in the area.

Hopefully, this will help you decide on your itinerary more.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 27 Dec 2022 1:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Sara,

Just thought I would pop on and ask if you managed to come over and see us with your mother in the end. ☘️