My visit to Ireland

My visit to Ireland

Author
Posted Sat 10 Dec 2022 8:53 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Dec 2022 3:28 PM Visits: 687
We are trying to visit Ireland next summer but there are some uncertainties that make the trip doubtful. But in case the trip should go on I would like to know more about driving in your country with a motorhome. 
We plan to make a trip of about 2 months crisscrossing through Ireland.
Are there enough campsites or camper places where we can stay? Are all the roads drivable with a camper of 7 meters, 2,3 meters wide and 3 meters high? Is 2 months too long?
I have more questions but that all depends on your answers.
so I will stop here and wait for them.Thank you in advance.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 11 Dec 2022 2:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 24 minutes ago Visits: 76K
Hi Clement,

It's great that you are planning to explore Ireland by motorhome! 

First of all, there are plenty of campsites all over the island. You can find most of them on the Camping Ireland website. We also have resources about camping and RVing on the island.

We also have other threads about motorhome trips in Ireland that might come in handy. This one and that one mention similar-sized motorhomes (7m long), which may reassure you. Narrow roads shouldn't be much of a concern for your future trip and can usually be avoided by planning ahead.

2 months is a very comfortable amount of time to explore the Emerald Isle, especially if you like to take your time exploring a region. Do you already know what you'd like to see and do? 

Cheers,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Dec 2022 2:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)Gaining Respect (174 reputation)
Hi Antoine,

Thank you for your answer. The shortcuts in the text are really helpful. I will study them and take the shortcut with me on my phone so I can use it while we are in Ireland. 
We have no direct plans on what to see or rather what to miss. Because we want to see as much as possible. Of course we like to see and experience the Wild Atlantic Way. We would like to drive the full length with lots of pauses to get out of the vehicle and walk around and enjoy its beauty. But also the inland must be pretty. Lovely green slopes and hills to wonder around in.
That brings me to my next question. Is there a nice map that I can look at to find a more detailed picture of the places we would like to visit. 
And, of course, can you recommend me what time of the year is the best time to visit. I know the saying 'there is no bad weather, just bad clothes' or something like that but I would like to avoid the rainy season. Not that you can arrange something like that but still.....
Hope to hear from you.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Dec 2022 2:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hello Clement,

We're happy to hear you find the information shared by Antoine useful! I'm happy to answer your further questions. 

If you would like to use paper maps we can recommend downloading one or more of our travel brochures. Here, you will find many themed travel guides and magazines with for instance information about cities and food. One of these is a collection of maps and route planner for the different regions of the island of Ireland. 

As you will be enjoying a lot of time outside in nature I understand your question about our weather very well! As you know our island is know for its lush shades of green, which means that year-round you might be surprised by a soft rain or mist, a rainbow or even snow!

Thankfully, the weather often changes by the hour, and every season has it's own charm. Here you can read more about our favourite topic of conversation and how to prepare for the different weather circumstances in every season.

I'd also like to share a bit more inspiration for exploring the different regions across our wee island. I'd certainly like to recommend the rugged Causeway Coastal Route in Northern Ireland, and for interesting inland adventures Ireland's Ancient East is not to be missed. As you said, you plan to take your time to traverse the Wild Atlantic Way, which will bring you plenty of pretty fishing towns and wonderful seaside vistas.

I hope that this is helping you with planning your trip. Please do let us know if you have any more questions about your motorhome adventure - we're very happy to help you prepare for this wonderful journey to our wee island. 

Kind regards,

Vera 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Dec 2022 3:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thank you Vera for your answer to my questions. For now I will start to make a daily plan on how and where to drive.
The plans and different route planners will definitely help me in planning our way through your beautiful island. 
When we get stuck we know where we can get information and solutions to our questions.
So far, thank you, and your colleague's, very much in helping me through this difficult but rewarding planning issue.

Clement
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 13 Dec 2022 10:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 24 minutes ago Visits: 76K
Our pleasure, Clement! 

We look forward to hearing about your itinerary and travel plans. I also found one last page with further tips, which are specific to motorhome and camper van trips.

Cheers,
Antoine