Road trip in August 2023

Road trip in August 2023

Author
Posted Fri 30 Dec 2022 7:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 2 Jan 2023 9:43 AM Visits: 528
Hi,
We are planning a journey to Ireland during the first two weeks of August with our own car arriving at Cork. We are two adults and 2 sons aged 17 and 12.
We intend to get to Killarney where we think to stay 3 or even 4 nights.
Then we intend to hit Galway where we could stay probably 3 nights.
Then we have to share the remaining week between Glenveagh, Derry, the Giants Causeway, and then Wicklow, Glendalough and Kilkenny, because we leave from where we'll arrive, Cork. I don't know how we'll splt the nights.

We are not very interested to visit cities. I already know Dublin (and Waterford (and also an small area in Northern Ireland!)) and with our family we intend to see nice landscapes and walk around without packing our suitcase again every morning.
Do you have any piece of advice in order to help me finalise my journey?

I feel that accomodation is quite expensive. I target B&B. I hoped to stick to 100,-€ p. night, but prices are actually more around 130,-€... a mobile home could be a nice and cheaper solution (I'm waiting for a reply to see whether it is possible to rent one for only 3 to 4 nights).
Looking forward to reading any kind comment on this presentation.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 31 Dec 2022 10:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)Community Member (33 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 Jan 2023 7:39 PM Visits: 775
Hi Arnaud,

The program you have made so far looks fantastic!

For the remaining week, you can find inspiration in this Itinerary Ideas page. Of course, the Giant's Causeway is really appreciated by visitors. Derry as well, especially if you are a fan of the Derry Girls show
Since you would be in Galway, you could also take some time to check out the Aran Islands

For accommodation, you could indeed rent a campervan. You have several options, such as Campervan Ireland or Bunk Campers. You can also check this page for B&Bs or hostels. 

Je vous souhaite un excellent séjour !

Marine
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 31 Dec 2022 5:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 2 Jan 2023 9:43 AM Visits: 528
Thank you Marine,

We won't rent a campervan, but make use of the car of the company which employs me.
I had never heard of the Derry Girls Show so thank you for updating me :) !!
www.bandbireland.com seems definitely to be the right website to find a proper B&B indeed.
Maybe we'll spend one day on the Aran Islands, as I haven't decided yet what we'll do each day. Spending 4 nights here or 3 nights there is just a thought. I also have to see whether this programme can cope with the accomodation, as I realise that many accommodations are already full.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 2 Jan 2023 9:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 27
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:35 AM Visits: 76.6K
Bonjour Arnaud et bonne année ! 

I'm glad Marine's tips already help you further. And I love your itinerary, very well balanced between all 3 regions of the island!

Staying at least 3 nights somewhere is an excellent idea to travel at your own pace. If I understand correctly, you are looking to take day trips from 4 different bases in Co. Kerry, Galway, Northern Ireland/Donegal and Co. Wicklow (3 nights each)? That sounds like a plan! If you struggle to find accommodation in Galway and Killarney, I'd suggest looking outside of the cities (which is fine since you'll have your own vehicle)

Since you mentioned mobile homes as an alternative to B&B's, I'd suggest you have a look at the Camping Ireland website. They list campsites that have mobile home hire options, which could be suitable for your family.

Let us know how your plans go!

A bientôt,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 7 Jan 2023 3:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:34 AM Visits: 6.3K
Hello Arnaud,

Visit Derry are keen to assist you with any aspect of your stay in our corner of Ireland. I see you are not necessarily looking to stay in a City however for the Northern part of your tour, Derry~Londonderry would be the perfect base. With excellent transport links to both the Causeway Coastal Route and the Donegal Section of the Wild Atlantic Way you couldn't be more perfectly situated to explore our region.
The train line from Derry to Coleraine is regarded as iconic, passing several Game of Thrones locations on your way to the Giant's Causeway with excellent walking routes in the area also. 

In the other direction you can reach Glenveagh and walk in the steps of our local Saint, Colmcille before hiring bikes to travel around Glenveagh National Park where, if you are lucky, you may see one of the Eagles which are resident in this beautiful area.

Check our website - www.visitderry.com to see what accommodation is available or email any queries directly to us at info@visitderry.com, any of our team will be delighted to help you make the most of your visit.

We look forward to seeing you all in August.

Sam
Visit Derry