Family History Research

Family History Research

Author
Posted Sun 1 Jan 2023 3:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 1 Jan 2023 5:10 PM Visits: 8
Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with some family history research?

I'm trying to trace my great, great grandparents, Patrick Rogers and Mary Grey/Gray.
I can't seem to find anything about them so far, other than Patrick being an Engineer. But I believe they were Irish.

They apparently went to Liverpool from Ireland on a business trip. While there, Mary Grey bore my great grandmother Mary Anne (or Annie) Rogers 1916, and shortly returned to Ireland. Mary Anne Rogers grew up somewhere on Falls Road in Belfast.

In 1940, she and my great grandfather Michael Joseph Houten married in Greenock, Scotland, at St Patrick's, a Roman Catholic Church. They seemed to live in Greenock, though I can't quite make out the address properly on the document attached, 12 ____ Avenue, Greenock. At this point in time, Mary's parents were stated to be deceased.

Mary was a Domestic Servant and Michael was a Builder, Labourer.
Michael Joseph Houten was born in Carrow Reagh in 1915 to parents James Houten and Mary Doherty.

If you can find anything about them, particularly Patrick Rogers and Mary Grey/Gray, I would be very grateful.
I have exhausted my searches online and am unsure where to search next.

Kind regards,

Catherine Egan

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 2 Jan 2023 9:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
Hi Catherine,

Happy New Year! It's lovely to hear that you already put so much effort into researching your family tree.

Do you have an estimate of the year of birth of your great, great-grandparents?  After 1865, the parish and church records transitioned towards civil records, so this is more likely where you should look. You can have a look at county-based genealogy centers through this page.  I'd suggest checking out the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) in particular since your great-grandmother grew up in Belfast.

Have you tried looking up their names on the John Grenham website

Best of luck and let us know how it goes! Hopefully other members will come up with leads or suggestions.

Cheers,
Antoine