Travel by train

Travel by train

Author
Posted Sat 14 Jan 2023 1:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 18 Jan 2023 1:32 PM Visits: 304
I would like to just take a train, no tours, stop at some small local towns and the larger towns also. Probably just 7 to 10 days.  Any ideas which way to head out of Dublin.  I'm hoping to get a rail pass that would allow me to get off and on as I wish.  I open for ideas.  Linda Bennett
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 14 Jan 2023 6:01 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)I'm into this (207 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 19 Jun 2024 11:37 AM Visits: 62
Hi Linda,

My name is Dara and I've complied a number of links for free & independent travelers to Ireland including government, cost of living and of course - transport links.

You might find them interesting...

https://rebelcitytours.com/useful-links-for-travelers-to-ireland/

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 15 Jan 2023 10:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hello Linda,

What a wonderful plan - to explore our wee island by train! You'll get to enjoy the landscapes as they roll by or read a book, without a care in the world. I'll be very happy to help you with some handy resources to plan your rail journey around the island of Ireland. 

There is a useful thread on our Community forum where the different public transport passes are outlined - for you, the Explorer Travel Ticket might be a good option. It gives you 5 days of train travel within a 15-day timeframe in the Republic of Ireland.

You could perhaps combine this with an Northern Ireland three-day Flexi Ticket or an Interrail Pass if you'd like to take in the sights of Northern Ireland - these options you can find in the same thread. Some of the most beautiful stretches of railway can be found in Northern Ireland - the journey along the coast between Derry~Londonderry and Coleraine is absolutely stunning. 

Depending on which pass(es) you choose you could do a full loop around our island - for instance, from Dublin to Belfast, onwards to Derry~Londonderry via Coleraine and return to the Republic of Ireland to explore further. Galway and Cork are pretty and lively cities on the Wild Atlantic Way, for instance. 

More general information and a lot of useful links about traveling around the Emerald Isle by rail can also be found on our website. As journeys are rarely over two hours it is possible to travel in the morning and enjoy a large part of the day sightseeing at your destination for the day. In this article you can find inspiration for things to see and do across the island. 

I hope this is helpful for planning your railway trip. We'd love to hear all about it! In the meantime, if you have any questions, please let us know. 

Enjoy the preparations for your trip, have a lovely day, 

Vera

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 15 Jan 2023 1:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)Industry Member (11.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: 15 hours ago Visits: 6.3K
Hi Linda - please consider Northern Ireland when planning your trip. The train journey from Belfast to Derry-Londonderry is regarded as iconic and will bring you past Game of Thrones Filming Locations, Ancient Castles, along the stunning North Coast and along the Banks of Lough Foyle into the City of Derry, where the Causeway Coast and the Wild Atlantic Way meet.

Check our website - www.visitderry.com or give us a ring on +44 2871 267284 before you travel for more detailed advice. If you do decide to visit Derry-Londonderry make sure you call at our Visitor Information Centre for a chat with one of our team members who will help you make the most of the City and Region.

Sam
Visitor Information Centre
Visit Derry