Trip in May

Trip in May

Author
Posted Tue 17 Jan 2023 4:26 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:02 PM Visits: 2.7K
Trip in May (11th-24th). Flying in/out Dublin. Traveling clockwise and would like to leave last 2 days of trip for Dublin. Really want to see giants Causeway but not necessarily Belfast (time crunch?). We do not want to stay in 14 different places, so what would be the best base cities/towns for us? We would like to drive mostly country roads if possible and stay in smaller towns. Really want to take in the natural beauty and history while experiencing the culture ie; pubs, music maybe a festival if happening. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Jan 2023 8:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)Community Expert (274 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:35 AM Visits: 4.9K
Hi Anthony,

It's great to hear you'll be able to spend two weeks exploring the island of Ireland this summer!

I've shared some ideas for an itinerary here below, although feel free to modify it, and add or remove bits depending on your interests and how much time you'd like to spend in each place. I've tried including some villages, national parks, and castles, for a balanced overview of everything the island has to offer.

You could begin your journey southwards towards Cork - which is a 2h30 drive - with stops in Kilkenny and the Rock of Cashel for example. Cork city is a great place to wander around and use as a base to visit the towns of Cobh, Kinsale, and Blarney Castle too.

Next on your journey, you could head towards Killarney (count 1h30 drive), which is the perfect spot to explore the surrounding area, especially as it is the gateway to the Ring of Kerry. If you have time, you could also opt for a boat trip to the Great Skellig.

You could then start heading north towards Galway, driving along the Wild Atlantic Way, which is dotted with stunning views and lovely villages. Make sure to stop at the Cliffs of Moher, and if time allows, the Burren. Galway city is ideal for sampling Ireland's traditional music and pub culture. It's also a good base to explore the Connemara, Kylemore Abbey, and the Aran Islands. The Galway International Arts Festival will also be taking place from the 17th of July onwards.

The drive northwards into Northern Ireland will most likely be the longest part of your journey, although you could break it up with a stop in Sligo, or Donegal. The town of Derry~Londonderry, also known as the Walled City, is a perfect place to begin your adventure in Northern Ireland. From there, head to the Giant's Causeway, which is about one hour away. Depending on how much time you have in the area, you could also fit in a visit to Dunluce Castle or the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge for a rush of adrenaline!

Belfast is 1h30 away from the Giant's Causeway, and full of fascinating history and sights to see, including the wonderful Titanic Belfast. It's also become a bit of a foodie's heaven, so don't miss out on some tasty treats. If you'd prefer skipping Belfast, count a good three hours from the Giant's Causeway to Dublin.

You'll find plenty of sights to keep you busy in Dublin (The Guinness Storehouse, Trinity College Library..), and, if you have the time, there are also some great day trips out from Dublin, whether that's exploring nearby coastal villages, neolithic sights such as Brú na Bóinne, or the Wicklow Mountains.

In terms of accommodation, you can use the search tool available here, which also allows you to apply filters, such as the type of accommodation you're looking for.

I hope this helps, and don't hesitate to get back to us if you have some more questions!

Alex

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Jan 2023 11:15 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)I'm into this (244 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:02 PM Visits: 2.7K
Thank you so much Alex. This is a great guide for us and will definitely put to good use!
Tony